The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bookkeeping (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103029-bookkeeping.html)

Valley Man Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45pm

Bookkeeping

A bookkeeping mistake
a) may be be corrected when discovered
b) includes adding players to the scorebook during game
c) must be corrected before the halftime intermission
d) may be corrected if recognized during the first dead ball following the mistake

It isn't B or C. I think they left of some important information in a) like "before the R approves the score". Sure you "may" correct it in D .. but you don't have to:rolleyes:

Smitty Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59pm

Isn't a bookkeeping mistake something like the number of personal fouls on a player? The running score? Not an incorrect number of a player. So I believe the answer would be (a) for bookkeeping mistakes.

Valley Man Wed Oct 18, 2017 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 1010234)
Isn't a bookkeeping mistake something like the number of personal fouls on a player? The running score? Not an incorrect number of a player. So I believe the answer would be (a) for bookkeeping mistakes.

I totally agree. This English test left out a huge piece in a) and the answer d) is not incorrect.

Raymond Wed Oct 18, 2017 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1010235)
I totally agree. This English test left out a huge piece in a) and the answer d) is not incorrect.

Even though 'a' left out some verbiage, what would make you thinks it is wrong?

'd' limits the timeframe to only the first dead ball, that's the important distinction in that choice, not the word "may".

bob jenkins Wed Oct 18, 2017 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1010238)

'd' limits the timeframe to only the first dead ball, that's the important distinction in that choice, not the word "may".

I don't see that in the posted answer D.

That said, A is a better answers, and that's what we're supposed to select during a multiple choice test.

Raymond Wed Oct 18, 2017 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010244)
I don't see that in the posted answer D.

That said, A is a better answers, and that's what we're supposed to select during a multiple choice test.

"if recognized during the first dead ball" is a limiting statement.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 18, 2017 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1010238)

Agree...this is about understanding the rules and what they mean in the context of the game and other rules without having to spell out every little detail. Some things should just be assumed.

We all know about when jurisdiction starts and stops. To mention that as part of the question just overly complicates what is otherwise a simple question.

Likewise on (d), that language should tell you it is referring to correctable errors and not bookkeeping mistakes.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 19, 2017 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1010248)
"if recognized during the first dead ball" is a limiting statement.

Disagree.

Can it be corrected if it's recognized during the first dead ball? Yes, so this answer is true.

Can it also be corrected if it's recognized after the first dead ball? Also yes -- so A is "truer."

Smitty Thu Oct 19, 2017 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010295)
Disagree.

Can it be corrected if it's recognized during the first dead ball? Yes, so this answer is true.

Can it also be corrected if it's recognized after the first dead ball? Also yes -- so A is "truer."

I read (d) like Raymond did, as if there was a phantom "only" in front of the "if".

Valley Man Thu Oct 19, 2017 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 1010297)
I read (d) like Raymond did, as if there was a phantom "only" in front of the "if".

Yes it is how it is read and interpreted. We all know how to take care of it. Just not pleased with the choice of distractors. My first read of it was like Raymond said .. I thought that is using correctable error verbiage.

so cal lurker Thu Oct 19, 2017 08:44am

Relatively few people can write clear multiple choice questions. Far more people think they can. This question is not well written--quality test questions measure knowledge, not test taking skills. But as Bob said, despite that, there is a best answer.

AremRed Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1010305)
Relatively few people can write clear multiple choice questions. Far more people think they can. This question is not well written--quality test questions measure knowledge, not test taking skills. But as Bob said, despite that, there is a best answer.

Don't you mean? :D

Relatively few people can?
a. Write clear multiple choice questions
b. Far more think they can
c. This question is not well written
d. There is a best answer
e. All of the above