The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 03:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Official: Is an appropriate health care professional covering the game?
Coach: No.

A hypothetical, but I am curious: Now what?
In our state the coach, given the absence of anyone else there on site, by default, serves in that capacity.
The coaches here know this. At least I've seen evidence that they're regularly made aware of this and, in fact, trained in concussion-awareness to a sufficient extent that we've been told to leave it in their hands should an analysis be prompted by us.
Other states, indeed, may differ.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
In our state the coach, given the absence of anyone else there on site, by default, serves in that capacity ... trained in concussion-awareness to a sufficient extent that we've been told to leave it in their hands ...
Same here in Connecticut. A few years ago some state legislators wanted to turn over the concussion awareness role to officials, but were lobbied out of it by our state interscholastic sports governing body (CIAC). That's why Connecticut officials pay $13.00 a year to belong to the CIAC, they make sports related decisions with input of coaches, athletic directors, school principals, and officials, plus we get to see a lot of free games in all sports, and free basketball tournament games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO (of which I am a member of due to NY State) has some very stupid procedural things that the coaches plain ol opt out and we, as officials, are so inconsistent in following them I just don't get their point. Somewhere someone just overthinks things and feels that the coaches want to be a part of the captains meetings...heck the captains NOR we want to be a part of these meetings.

What's the point of asking coaches if their kids are "legally" equipped. Do we penalize the coach/team any if they answered truthfully instead of the obligatory "yeah sure"?

It's like asking for speaking captains....In 15+ years I have never seen an official hunt down the "speaking" captain. I'm sure in 99.9% of the games they don't even remember who it is once the game starts.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

In almost all of my games I don't remember any of the captains, I certainly don't remember the "speaking captain" when the R on my crew asks for one, and when I'm the R I never ask for the speaking captain. Some guys have given me grief about it before and then get defensive when I tell them it's pointless and I don't care. Coincidentally, those are the same guys that want to recite the entire rule book in the captains and coaches meetings.

If I have an issue with a player, I'm either talking to that player myself, talking to the coach, or serving T.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

We've been doing this in New Hampshire for the last 3 years I've been here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk