The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 02:23am
We don't rent pigs

No try, ball dead on foul

Tonight in game 3 Lebron tried to lob it into the post, Love was fouled while the ball was in the air, and it went it. I think everybody in the building agreed it was a pass. Announcers were saying it didn't matter, you can't judge intent, etc. and resident NBA officiating expert Steve Javey agreed it was the right call. So the NBA rule is different then? You obviously can/must judge intent at times in all levels. So, in NFHS, the basket doesn't count.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Most times NBA rules differ. They counted the basket and Love then shot one free throw. Would you ever award one free throw to a player who is being fouled while his teammate is in the act of shooting in NFHS? That is the NBA rule.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tonight in game 3 Lebron tried to lob it into the post, Love was fouled while the ball was in the air, and it went it. I think everybody in the building agreed it was a pass. Announcers were saying it didn't matter, you can't judge intent, etc. and resident NBA officiating expert Steve Javey agreed it was the right call. So the NBA rule is different then? You obviously can/must judge intent at times in all levels. So, in NFHS, the basket doesn't count.
If a ball goes in the basket, and I'm officiating, then the intent was to score. I'm not smart enough to judge intent on a made basket. It's tough enough for borderline INT/flagrant fouls.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If a ball goes in the basket, and I'm officiating, then the intent was to score. I'm not smart enough to judge intent on a made basket. It's tough enough for borderline INT/flagrant fouls.
How do you ever judge if a player is in the act of shooting when fouled?
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
How do you ever judge if a player is in the act of shooting when fouled?
You had to ask that didn't you. You are responsible for what's to come.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't believe intent is even under consideration when scoring a basket.

Section 1. ART. 1 . . . A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throw-in goes through the basket.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjj68 View Post
I don't believe intent is even under consideration when scoring a basket.

Section 1. ART. 1 . . . A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throw-in goes through the basket.
Sure it is. A goal is not necessarily a try. If it is not a try or act of shooting, the ball becomes dead immediately on the expiration of time or on a whistle. If it is a try in such cases, the dead ball is delayed until try ends. If a player is in the act of shooting, the dead ball is delayed (on whistles for defensive fouls) until the try ends.

The difference between a try that results in a goal and a non-try that results in a goal is all about intent.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 05:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not That Simple ...

Quote:
If a ball goes in the basket, and I'm officiating, then the intent was to score.
A1 passes the ball to A2, who isn't looking for the ball. The ball hits A2 on the shoulder, and bounces into the air, eventually passing through the basket. No complicating factors like end of period, foul, etc.

The ball went in the basket. Was there an intent to score?

4-41 SHOOTING, TRY, TAP
ART. 1 The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try
or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne
shooter.
ART. 2 A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three
points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket. A player is trying for goal
when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or
attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand
as a foul could prevent release of the ball.
ART. 3 The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually
precedes the release of the ball.
ART. 4 The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the
throw is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball
becomes dead.
ART. 5 A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player’s
hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.
ART. 6 A tap shall be considered the same as a try for field goal, except as
in 5-2-5.
ART. 7 The tap starts when the player’s hand(s) touches the ball.
ART. 8 The tap ends in exactly the same manner as a try.

Now, just for fun, who wants to talk about complicating factors while the ball is in flight toward the basket?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 06:59pm.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A1 passes the ball to A2, blah blah blah
Please don't waste our time with this stuff. Team A shoots and misses, A1 goes to rebound but the ball bounces off his shoulder and go in the basket.

Go ahead, cancel the goal. I'll love watching the youtube videos of you go viral.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 10:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Please don't waste our time with this stuff. Team A shoots and misses, A1 goes to rebound but the ball bounces off his shoulder and go in the basket.

Go ahead, cancel the goal. I'll love watching the youtube videos of you go viral.

Billy's example is obviously an extreme one. But intent is obviously a question which sometimes must be answered. A1 leaps in the air and is clobbered before he can release the ball. You must decide whether to award 2 shots or not. So why is the OP any different? You must decide whether to count the basket or wave it off.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 10:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Back to the original question, which is: What, if anything, causes a ball in flight to be dead in the NBA?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Back to the original question, which is: What, if anything, causes a ball in flight to be dead in the NBA?
Jeff Van Gundy?
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why ??? Why ??? Why ??? Why ???

Quote:
A1 passes the ball to A2, who isn't looking for the ball. The ball hits A2 on the shoulder, and bounces into the air, eventually passing through the basket. No complicating factors like end of period, foul, etc.
Quote:
Team A shoots and misses, A1 goes to rebound but the ball bounces off his shoulder and go in the basket. Go ahead, cancel the goal.
NFHS rules. No complicating factors like end of period, foul, etc. Why (in either situation above) would I cancel this goal? Why would any official even think about canceling this goal? Why would deecee think that I would cancel this goal and become a YouTube viral sensation? Why would deecee think that any official worth his salt on this Forum would even consider canceling this goal?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 09, 2017 at 06:30am.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Billy's Funhouse ...

Quote:
Team A shoots and misses, A1 goes to rebound but the ball bounces off his shoulder and go in the basket.
Quote:
Now, just for fun, who wants to talk about complicating factors while the ball is in flight toward the basket?
Quote:
A1 leaps in the air and is clobbered before he can release the ball.
Let the fun begin.

Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A player throws the ball directly into the basket with an off ball foul? It was gonna be a lob attempt but no way in hell I'm not awarding the basket...especially with a non touch by the lobbed player.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Closed Thread