The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 10:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Have to say, I always thought you had one of the best usernames here.
I love your username, Rich. It reminds me of my hero - Scrooge McDuck. He's "rich" too. In fact, his money bin is six cubic acres big!

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Fri Apr 14, 2017 at 10:58am.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Refs-N-Coach:
By virtue of having seen the game from "both sides" [i.e., a ref and a coach] you have acquired a well-balanced perspective which has evidently provided you with the primary beneficial factor of youth sports: an ability to Enjoy the Game. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Kansas...I try. Seen and heard to much in my time and decided a LONG time ago, I wasn't going to be that guy in the stands or that coach on the sideline.

Too many parents have kids "going D1" or "to the league" that gotta get their investment back, OR they play rec league cause they couldn't even make the school team, that act like idiots...Meanwhile the kid's body language and attitude would have got him/her cut from my teams. Wonder where the kid gets it!?
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
We'd love to have you up here
I hate the traffic

Probably stay local for now, on the Peninsula. Where I officiate HS basketball will be affected by 2 things:

1) Whether or not Mr. T.B. gets public school contracts here on the Peninsula.

2) Where my g/f ends up moving this summer: Richmond, Peninsula, Southside.

SORRY TO HIJACK THE THREAD. So sorta back on topic.

Neither of my sons played HS basketball (one for bad grades, the other has Asperger's), so I never had to be the parent in the stands except for some church and Rec Leagues. My oldest played in a travel YMCA league one year and I would stay away from everyone else. I did get into it with one father from our team about riding the officials.

I would never have coached my kids because I know I would have been too hard on them.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Apr 14, 2017 at 03:10pm.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 01:44pm
Esteemed Participant

All 3 of my sons played HS ball. I coached one of them (the youngest) in basketball, but coached all 3 in HS football. Loved every minute of it, although they will tell you that I was harder on them than on the other players.

When they were playing HS basketball, I sat in the stands and cheered for their team (or yelled at them if they were being lazy). On a number of occasions, the officials from our local area (who all knew me) would motion for me to come into the locker room with them after the game and then ask for my feedback. I was never really comfortable with that as a dad...but I would keep the discussion centered on things like court coverage, rotations, etc - never on judgement calls.