The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   foot over line but not on it (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102430-foot-over-line-but-not.html)

thedewed Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:01pm

foot over line but not on it

Question: helpside defender rotates over, gets there, heel on circle, but lifts heel and on contact toes are outside the circle, heel is over but not touching circle. is that charge or block? tia.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:08pm

The NCAA rule is that the defender needs to be outside of the plane of the arc.
Over/above is not a legal position for a secondary defender.

thedewed Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:14pm

thx

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:14pm

Watching Michigan St. vs. Kansas, are you? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frezer11 Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1002873)
Watching Michigan St. vs. Kansas, are you? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you see Steratore while walking opposite before the FT? Reading his lips, "Nice F***ing Job," and pat on Luckie's butt on the way by

Adam Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:15pm

Folks, if you want to discuss individual plays, go for it.

If you want to insult or deride the officials working the tournament, go find a fan or coach site to do it.

Future indiscretions will result in some time away.

grunewar Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1002883)
Did you see Steratore while walking opposite before the FT? Reading his lips, "Nice F***ing Job," and pat on Luckie's butt on the way by

The game announcers, take them for what you will, gave props to this crew and especially their communication on this particular play.

frezer11 Mon Mar 20, 2017 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1002916)
Folks, if you want to discuss individual plays, go for it.

If you want to insult or deride the officials working the tournament, go find a fan or coach site to do it.

Future indiscretions will result in some time away.

If this was directed at me, I apologize, but I think it was misinterpreted, I thought that was the perfect way to handle this. My comment was merely that it was funny that you could read his lips pretty easily, and I have no doubt he wasn't pissed at his partner, but rather genuinely telling him great job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1002948)
The game announcers, take them for what you will, gave props to this crew and especially their communication on this particular play.

They did, and I agree, Again, I think this was exactly how you handle such a situation. The trail didn't come in and overrule or anything like, that,he simply stopped the lead before he reported, and gave him information on the play.

I don't think plays like this question your partners trust either, that could be misrepresented here. Rather, you are helping out when they were unable to see something. I actually think a call like this shows that the crew trusts each other more. I know I would feel a lot more comfortable stepping in to help out with this call with a guy who I trust and I know trusts me.

Raymond Mon Mar 20, 2017 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1002957)
If this was directed at me, I apologize, but I think it was misinterpreted, I thought that was the perfect way to handle this. My comment was merely that it was funny that you could read his lips pretty easily, and I have no doubt he wasn't pissed at his partner, but rather genuinely telling him great job.

They did, and I agree, Again, I think this was exactly how you handle such a situation. The trail didn't come in and overrule or anything like, that,he simply stopped the lead before he reported, and gave him information on the play.

I don't think plays like this question your partners trust either, that could be misrepresented here. Rather, you are helping out when they were unable to see something. I actually think a call like this shows that the crew trusts each other more. I know I would feel a lot more comfortable stepping in to help out with this call with a guy who I trust and I know trusts me.

Actually, it is an expectation for the Center to provide this information to the Lead. And when the information is brought, it is to include the number of the defensive player and if the basket was made.

frezer11 Mon Mar 20, 2017 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1002960)
Actually, it is an expectation for the Center to provide this information to the Lead. And when the information is brought, it is to include the number of the defensive player and if the basket was made.

Fair enough, but based on the play in question, I'd be surprised if the C had any kind of view at the play. The T was able to pick it up, and provided the information, so I think we had the same effect. Although I'm not sure he picked up the defensive player's number, my suspicion is that this is what they went to the monitor for.

Adam Mon Mar 20, 2017 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1002957)
If this was directed at me, I apologize, but I think it was misinterpreted, I thought that was the perfect way to handle this.

It was not, my apologies. I deleted the post that triggered my response.