The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Update: Video Requests for first tournament weekend

I am finally back from my trip. I have clipped up most of the videos that have been requested this far. I will this evening start posting them as I will need some time to upload them on YouTube.

But I have to make this concern knows. I have had another video flagged by CBS for a video I had. It seems like CBS is intent on make an issue out of some of the videos, even though I am not monetizing off the videos or trying to use them for some other purpose than training.

If anyone has any legal suggestions I am up for listening considering that much of YouTube are videos from TV and I seriously doubt most are given permission. Also I know of someone that made it clear they had legal right to use some commentary for their YouTube channel, I am only using for evaluation of plays for training purposes. If someone can help or sent me a PM about this information I am open. I would like to not have this interrupted like last year but that might be what happens.

Thanks to all for the requests and continue to show plays. I feel there is a way to do this the right way based on other things I have seen and experienced. But I might need some help as the videos are a great way to use the videos for our purposes. Not trying to be a rebel, just trying to provide a service.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

IANAL.

That said, my experience with copyrights would lead me to believe that legally and ethically, you are well within "fair use" guidelines.

Practically however: certain copyright holders are well known for being absolutely ridiculous with their DMCA claims. The way the DMCA works, the copyright holder just has to make a claim that they are infringed and the website or ISP must take down the disputed content. The person posting the content may be allowed to dispute the takedown, but it often isn't worth it.

The DMCA is a game of whack-a-mole for the copyright holders. Real infringement is taken down, only to pop back up somewhere else. So, the copyright holders tend to use a sledge hammer to do the whacking and just take out any little mole that may possibly be infringing without regard that it may actually be fair use.

I had a friend who posted a home video of his family at the local amusement park. It got flagged for a DMCA violation because of the song playing over the midway speakers for all of 10 seconds. Ridiculous.