The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ACC Tournament Plays (Video and requests) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102367-acc-tournament-plays-video-requests.html)

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:51pm

ACC Tournament Plays (Video and requests)

If you have any plays from this tournament, make the request here.

Here is the first play I witnessed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N0edRDhf_sM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Mar 08, 2017 01:15pm

Miami v Syracuse
2nd half about 19:00 left
Possible BI with Syracuse on defense.

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2017 01:35pm

Play #2: Already beat you to it. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4VTsZglOGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bucky Wed Mar 08, 2017 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001929)
If you have any plays from this tournament, make the request here.

Here is the first play I witnessed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N0edRDhf_sM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Play#1) Score bar in way. Can't quite see right foot on catch. Not enough info for me.

Play#2) BI

nolanjj68 Wed Mar 08, 2017 02:10pm

#1- I thought he was still in the process of collecting the ball when the feet were moving. I do not see a travel.

#2- Yes on BI

ballgame99 Wed Mar 08, 2017 02:42pm

Play #2; I have a flag on the play for excessive # of suits on the bench! :D

Raymond Wed Mar 08, 2017 02:43pm

#1: May or may not have travelled by jumping and landing after catching the pass. Afterwards he does travel my lifting his pivot foot (right foot) prior to releasing the ball for his dribble.

OKREF Wed Mar 08, 2017 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1001939)
Play #2; I have a flag on the play for excessive # of suits on the bench! :D

13 guys in suits

bucky Wed Mar 08, 2017 03:20pm

About 4:50 in first half of Duke/Clemson game. Technical on Grayson Allen. I did not agree with it for his actions. Maybe something verbal although official next to him did not turn/look at all. T official was watching him entire time and called it. At half time, Jason Williams defended Allen and began discussion swearing in basketball and that it happens all the time. So, maybe Allen swore but again, closest official (4 feet?) did not even flinch.

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2017 03:41pm

Allen T shown.

Play #3:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4i0WcVxwR3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/71PwCCVR8HU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

OKREF Wed Mar 08, 2017 04:00pm

Allen might have got it for the bounce and not catching it, saying something, and reacting to the call. Probably a combination of things.

Zoochy Wed Mar 08, 2017 04:01pm

Play 1
If a Travel is called it is because he lifted up the Right (Pivot) foot before he released the ball to start the dribble. This action happens alot on the games I see on TV without being called. It that official calls it, then he needs to look for it and call it the rest of the game. Once is not enough.

Play 2
Why is there a comment during the video "is the ball in the cylinder?" Isn't it only BI if you touch the ball while it is in the cylinder? Now if you pull on the rim or net while the ball is on the rim, then that is also BI. So is the rim returning to it's original position while in contact with the ball? Maybe

Play 3
GA has issues. He deserves a T :D

Raymond Wed Mar 08, 2017 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1001946)
About 4:50 in first half of Duke/Clemson game. Technical on Grayson Allen. I did not agree with it for his actions. Maybe something verbal although official next to him did not turn/look at all. T official was watching him entire time and called it. At half time, Jason Williams defended Allen and began discussion swearing in basketball and that it happens all the time. So, maybe Allen swore but again, closest official (4 feet?) did not even flinch.

The official who made the call wasn't paying attention to Grayson's actions, he had no idea Allen slammed the ball. The calling official was walking towards the table to report and Allen was moving the opposite direction. The Trail T'd Allen immediately upon slamming the ball. Allen lost all benefit of the doubt a long time ago. You reap what you sow.

jTheUmp Wed Mar 08, 2017 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001953)
The official who made the call wasn't paying attention to Grayson's actions, he had no idea Allen slammed the ball. The calling official was walking towards the table to report and Allen was moving the opposite direction. The Trail T'd Allen immediately upon slamming the ball. Allen lost all benefit of the doubt a long time ago. You reap what you sow.

Like I tell guys in the trenches during a football game (as the Umpire)... Don't make me have to make a decision, because you might not like the decision I make.

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2017 05:06pm

Who is the foul on?

Play #4:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LM1RKCm7dB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

grunewar Wed Mar 08, 2017 09:03pm

March Madness Indeed......

Check out Wake Forest's, Greg McClinton's three pointer on a baseball pass as time expires in the first half. Nothing but net.

They said it's the only three pointer he's EVER made in college! Clearly gone.....

RedAndWhiteRef Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1001960)
Check out Wake Forest's, Greg McClinton's three pointer on a baseball pass as time expires in the first half. Nothing but net.

They said it's the only three pointer he's EVER made in college! Clearly gone.....

Terrible defense by the Hokies. They left him wide open.

RedAndWhiteRef Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:16pm

UVa-Pitt 10:24 2H. UVa defender is straight up, Pitt player turns into him and foul is called on UVa

MechanicGuy Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35am

If Play #1, in the OP, is a travel, then college teams would score approximately 15 points a night.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1001970)
If Play #1, in the OP, is a travel, then college teams would score approximately 15 points a night.

I don't think it is even a travel by the most strict application of the rule (both feet came down at the same time so he gets to pick the pivot). So, yeah, I agree that if you call things travels that are not, scoring will suffer badly.

bucky Thu Mar 09, 2017 01:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1001960)

If it was a pass as time expires, then wouldn't the ball become dead immediately?:eek:

Rich Thu Mar 09, 2017 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1001974)
If it was a pass as time expires, then wouldn't the ball become dead immediately?:eek:

What does the rule say?

Actually, who cares? If a player throws the ball one handed in the direction of the basket as time's expiring, tell me one official who would consider it anything but a try?

john5396 Thu Mar 09, 2017 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001976)
What does the rule say?

Actually, who cares? If a player throws the ball one handed in the direction of the basket as time's expiring, tell me one official who would consider it anything but a try?

It was clearly a pass to the VT player who inbounded the ball.

Wait, I'm a baseball umpire and don't work basketball. Oh, and Im a VT grad. No, not a fan boy hear. Move along nothing to see. ;^)

Camron Rust Thu Mar 09, 2017 09:28am

Quote:

What does the rule say?

Exactly. Not to mention the closest teammate to where he threw the ball was over 50 feet away. I'd say that was NOT a pass by any stretch of the imagination.

bucky Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12pm

Quote:

What does the rule say?

Answering a question with a question. Nice. Don't you know the rule Rich?

Presuming grunewar is an official, that would be one. grunewar said it was a pass. Did you not read the post, lol? Maybe we should review the 2-point vs 3-point deflected pass thread. There will be some officials there that consider the ball being thrown in the direction of the basket anything but a try, lol.

Rich Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43pm

Every play is a snowflake. There are no two that are alike.

Amesman Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001953)
T The Trail T'd Allen immediately upon slamming the ball. Allen lost all benefit of the doubt a long time ago. You reap what you sow.

BNR, agree with everything you said, including most of the above, EXCEPT the T didn't hit the whistle or react until he saw the ball bounding away. Seems Grayson basically got T'ed because he didn't catch his own bounce/slam of the ball. Valid. (Doubtful if T would have heard any muttered swearing from that far away? But if he did, that is indeed another explanation. Just seems unlikely in that noisy setting. And even then, it seems he might be getting on himself. ... OK maybe THAT one is a stretch.)

bob jenkins Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54pm

I think bucky was making a point about grunewar's description of the play as a "baseball pass" and his not calling it a "baseball-pass try"

All of us (including, I assume, bucky) knew what grunewar meant -- and I didn't get bucky's point until the latter discussion. Still, some of us do comment on other's word choices from time-to-time.

Rich Thu Mar 09, 2017 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1001992)
I think bucky was making a point about grunewar's description of the play as a "baseball pass" and his not calling it a "baseball-pass try"

All of us (including, I assume, bucky) knew what grunewar meant -- and I didn't get bucky's point until the latter discussion. Still, some of us do comment on other's word choices from time-to-time.

And those who live in glass houses and all that.... :D

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 09, 2017 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1001985)
Answering a question with a question. Nice. Don't you know the rule Rich?

Presuming grunewar is an official, that would be one. grunewar said it was a pass. Did you not read the post, lol? Maybe we should review the 2-point vs 3-point deflected pass thread. There will be some officials there that consider the ball being thrown in the direction of the basket anything but a try, lol.

I'm wondering if you're being intentionally obtuse ... or if you simply don't get it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now ... but "baseball pass" is not a rulebook term. It's a descriptive term, and it means the ball was thrown overhand with one arm, like one would throw a baseball (or football). It doesn't mean it meets the definition of "pass" as used in basketball and specifically in the rules you're talking about.

A ball thrown at the basket with the intent of putting it IN that basket, is a try --- even if thrown overhand with one arm.

And you know that.

bucky Thu Mar 09, 2017 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1001998)
I'm wondering if you're being intentionally obtuse ... or if you simply don't get it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now ... but "baseball pass" is not a rulebook term. It's a descriptive term, and it means the ball was thrown overhand with one arm, like one would throw a baseball (or football). It doesn't mean it meets the definition of "pass" as used in basketball and specifically in the rules you're talking about.

A ball thrown at the basket with the intent of putting it IN that basket, is a try --- even if thrown overhand with one arm.

And you know that.

Obtuse? You have seen Shawshank Redemption, a good flick.

I hear what you are saying and yes, knew what he meant, which is why I had the EEK emoji and the LOLs. My mistake for wasting time with that.

JRutledge Thu Mar 09, 2017 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 1001968)
UVa-Pitt 10:24 2H. UVa defender is straight up, Pitt player turns into him and foul is called on UVa

Play #4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_qnkVgrEPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30pm

1:08 1H UVa/ND. UVa defender "reaches in," makes contact with only the ball and pokes it away and is called for a foul.

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1002005)
Play #4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_qnkVgrEPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

I think you can argue from that last angle that 33 White moved his torso into the ball-handler. I didn't really notice it during the broadcast.

JRutledge Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 1002014)
1:08 1H UVa/ND. UVa defender "reaches in," makes contact with only the ball and pokes it away and is called for a foul.

I do not think that is why the foul was called. It appeared to be called for the body contact that loosened the ball.

Here is the play.

Play #5:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OaQjRakGXPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

ODog Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23pm

Nothing on the Va.-Pitt play. I'm not even gonna split the hair on whether the post defender moved toward the offensive player. That's great defense.

Nothing on the Va.-ND "reach in" play. Because, well, nothing happened.

Clear BI on the tugging-the-net play.

JRutledge Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59pm

Play #6:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m5ahzx1DD4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 03:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 1002016)
I think you can argue from that last angle that 33 White moved his torso into the ball-handler. I didn't really notice it during the broadcast.

Agree. Moving forward, knocks shooter off balance and causes him to lose the ball.

Raymond Fri Mar 10, 2017 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1002022)
Play #6:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m5ahzx1DD4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

I'm not judging the call one way or another. I just don't agree with the Trail coming to get this play when the Lead was right there and the Center (his primary in transition) had a clear look.

JRutledge Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1002033)
I'm not judging the call one way or another. I just don't agree with the Trail coming to get this play when the Lead was right there and the Center (his primary in transition) had a clear look.

That is why I post these plays man. I like it when people find little stuff that is not upfront in the video. I agree. I think the Lead or the Center had this play better. I see why he called it, but I think he was not the best person to call it.

Peace

ballgame99 Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1002033)

Hmm. My first thought was that was a good get by the new T. The old T is starting to transition and is a bit straitlined, the C is all the way across the court, and T was following the play. I think he got it right, and particularly in crunch time, this is a great call. The bump causing the travel pretty much forced him to make it, I'm guessing it was going to be a play on if the ballhandler kept going up the floor. I liked his mechanics in that he closed down on it and was decisive and clear.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40pm

If you're going to take a call right in front of your partner, particularly one in perfect position, it better be obvious and right. And it wasn't. The player had LGP and got run into. He didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't a block. Even if you don't agree with it not being a block, that isn't the type of call to go get that far away like that.

Raymond Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1002037)
Hmm. My first thought was that was a good get by the new T. The old T is starting to transition and is a bit straitlined, the C is all the way across the court, and T was following the play. I think he got it right, and particularly in crunch time, this is a great call. The bump causing the travel pretty much forced him to make it, I'm guessing it was going to be a play on if the ballhandler kept going up the floor. I liked his mechanics in that he closed down on it and was decisive and clear.

The Lead and Trail have the same angle from opposite sides of the play, so I don't know how the Lead is straight-lined and the Trail is not.

The C has sideline-to-sideline in transition, especially at the mid-court area, that play is his primary.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1002041)
The Lead and Trail have the same angle from opposite sides of the play, so I don't know how the Lead is straight-lined and the Trail is not.

The C has sideline-to-sideline in transition, especially at the mid-court area, that play is his primary.

Agree. The new T was looking through several other players too. Not a good look.

MechanicGuy Fri Mar 10, 2017 08:39pm

Hmmmm....foul on 3pt shot, 13:00 in 2H.

JRutledge Sat Mar 11, 2017 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1002068)
Hmmmm....foul on 3pt shot, 13:00 in 2H.

What game?

Peace

MechanicGuy Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1002113)
What game?

Peace

Oops, Duke/UNC

Lead calls a foul on 3 in the corner

hoopguy Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:35pm

Duke vs UNC 7:55 second half

scramble for the ball and ball goes oob. During dead ball the camera shows Duke player Kennard who ended up on his butt oob. One of the refs offers his hand to help Kennard up and Kennard slaps the refs hand away. At least that is what I saw. The camera shows it very briefly. There was no call made and from what I could tell the action was ignored and rightly so.

My take is, do not offer to help Kennard up.

JRutledge Mon Mar 13, 2017 04:46pm

Play #7:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PvGJAEEd5hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bucky Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59pm

Play 7: Obvious travel. T must have been watching up top for contact but knowing they need a 3, T needs to see the feet in relation to the line and thus, should have gotten such a blatant travel.