The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Drive to the basket and rebounding action (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102362-drive-basket-rebounding-action-video.html)

JRutledge Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:04pm

Drive to the basket and rebounding action (Video)

This was sent to me by one of the officials on the game. He wanted opinions so this is why I am posting this here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zKt-7gqD0qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

HokiePaul Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:13pm

Initial drive - no foul
Second shot - looks like the defender (#11) is moving into the shooter, but the lead has a much better angle than we do.

chapmaja Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:16pm

Sorry, somehow linked to a different video this one.

bob jenkins Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:17pm

I'd like to see it from C's side to see if there's a hand-check foul -- but I wouldn't call one from just the video.

chapmaja Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1001841)
Initial drive - no foul
Second shot - looks like the defender (#11) is moving into the shooter, but the lead has a much better angle than we do.

I disagree, I think the defender does move into the shooter on the initial shot attempt and think the second shot attempt looks cleaner, but like you said, its about the angle.

jpgc99 Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:29pm

No foul on the initial drive.

Defender jumps and maintains verticality. Correct No Call.

ballgame99 Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:55pm

Very tough without a lower angle, but my initial reaction:

1) possible hand check on primary defender, certainly looks like he illegally redirects the offensive player on the drive (doesn't maintain LGP).

2) defender on the initial drive does not look like he maintains verticality, his arms are vertical but he looks to be jumping sideways/forward.

3 possible foul on white on the rebound of the initial shot.

4) second shot attempt; I am ok with the no call since defense appears to be more or less legal and the contact that is there is created by the offense. I certainly wouldn't think twice if a foul was called on defense though.

Raymond Tue Mar 07, 2017 03:20pm

I have a foul on the second shot for the defender's A-2-B movement into the shooter.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OKREF Tue Mar 07, 2017 03:32pm

He jumps vertical, but his arms are extended beyond his vertical plane.

BryanV21 Tue Mar 07, 2017 05:32pm

I've got nothing here. I wouldn't get up in arms if a foul were called (especially by somebody with a better angle than me), but with this look I'm letting them play.

deecee Tue Mar 07, 2017 05:34pm

nope play on. good defense.

johnny d Tue Mar 07, 2017 07:35pm

Tell Honacki to blow his whistle. Foul on the second shot.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 07, 2017 09:11pm

Nothing on either.

Defender jumped straight up on the first...the contact is what made him shift off the spot, not a sideways jump.

On the 2nd, it was REALLY close but I think the defender got there just in time and had his arms sufficiently vertical.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16pm

Drive to the basket and rebounding action (Video)

Assuming there's not a handcheck that I just can't see on this video, I've got nothing, nothing, and nothing.

We can split hairs on what we'd do if we were robots, but putting myself on the floor and observing that play....that's a lot of good defense, none of which has a standout moment of illegality.

Who was it several months (years?) ago on the forum that said it's better to assume players are going to do legal things, because then when they don't the calls identify themselves? This is a case where the calls didn't really identify themselves. I like the no calls.

bucky Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07am

Technical travel on person catching inbounds pass. I have a feeling that JD would want a foul (arm bar type) called on the very first move. Perhaps a call there would have helped the game. The announcer notes that they are "letting them play". Foul call could have mediated a bit or they were just going to continue allowing that action.