The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Vid request: Northwestern winning basket over Michigan

I'll request video of this in order to ask how many on here would call a travel on the final basket by Northwestern?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the video. Someone made me post this.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think he bobbles, but is able to control with that first foot still on the floor. It's damned close, though, and that bobble makes me think I'd like to have missed it in real time. Lead would have had a good view of the bobble, I think.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think he bobbles, but is able to control with that first foot still on the floor. It's damned close, though, and that bobble makes me think I'd like to have missed it in real time. Lead would have had a good view of the bobble, I think.
I agree.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Question regarding C's mechanics/player focus in this play. Looks like you could tell team A was wanting to pass long, just by player setup. Do you hedge in that regard and go where you have the majority of the players or do you stay with closest match up, as it appears that's what C does here? L has 6 players in the front court.

Not saying that he has to be down inline with top of the key/free throw line area, but just maybe hedging towards 28 ft. mark or somewhere closer to mid-court.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that was a travel....albeit one that is almost never called. Let's just change the rules to match what is actually called so we can be both right and honest about these.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Question regarding C's mechanics/player focus in this play. Looks like you could tell team A was wanting to pass long, just by player setup. Do you hedge in that regard and go where you have the majority of the players or do you stay with closest match up, as it appears that's what C does here? L has 6 players in the front court.

Not saying that he has to be down inline with top of the key/free throw line area, but just maybe hedging towards 28 ft. mark or somewhere closer to mid-court.
Honestly, without knowing what they are doing, I do not know how he can know for sure. Because if the pass was near half court, then he could be out of position on that play too. I think he just has to officiate like normal and I would have never thought that the play would be a full court pass, ala Duke-Kentucky. So I think he tried to cover some other kind of play an that was the one attempted and executed.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

There's a bobble that in real time would have made it very difficult to tell. ALong with needing to be focused on a when a touch happens, officiating the defense for contact, mentally tracking time in case of a problem . . . you've got a lot on the go.

There is a case to be made for a travel, but in real time I can live with the result from an officiating stand point.

If it was that bad you'd have Michigan coaches talking about.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even if it sets up where he did, why did he just stop when the pass went long? He should busted his but toward the frontcourt as soon as that pass went long. Instead, he stopped and watched from 70 feet away. He could have easily been 20-30 feet closer if he goes on the pass.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I would have liked to have seen him hedge towards the division line because his closest offensive player would have been uncontested in the back court based on the defense.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even if it sets up where he did, why did he just stop when the pass went long? He should busted his but toward the frontcourt as soon as that pass went long. Instead, he stopped and watched from 70 feet away. He could have easily been 20-30 feet closer if he goes on the pass.
Because he doesn't have to move. He has a monitor to let him know if the shot gets released in time. Another example of how the monitor has made college officials worse than the guys who covered these games before.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because he doesn't have to move. He has a monitor to let him know if the shot gets released in time. Another example of how the monitor has made college officials worse than the guys who covered these games before.
I'm sure you have a scientific study to show this cause and effect on such plays.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:33pm
AremRed

What the F is Slot doing. Freezes at the FTLE in the BACKCOURT and leaves Lead on an island to referee all those players. He should be at halfcourt to start and busting his ass to get in position when the pass is in the air.

We also need to get rid of this replay review after every game winner. Replay is there to correct OBVIOUS mistakes. If the refs think there is an obvious mistake or one of the coaches requests a review then yes review it. Otherwise, call it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And as we see here, there was more to cover than the release of the shot.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is actually not his call to make by mechanic. IJS.

Peace