Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Fight in HS girls game

WATCH | Girls' high school basketball game ends early after fight on court
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in Indianapolis last year and the IHSAA suspended the balance of the season for one if not both of the girls teams....At any rate, one that was involved made it to the Class 4A (Big school) State Championship this year but lost. Bad story turned good a year later I guess.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

So, does Lay Lay get to enter the game?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

W25 is wearing an illegal headband.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 07:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Headband Leads To A Fist Fight (Film At Eleven) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
W25 is wearing an illegal headband.
I know it's early March, but Nevadaref's post is my nomination for Post O' The Month.

That's why the official was so intent on digging into the scrum, trying to get his hands on the illegal headband for evidence in a followup investigation of the fight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 02, 2017 at 07:21am.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Seemed to be managed fairly well (for a basketball fight) and much better than some videos that have arisen over the year.

Seems to be conflicting reports whether officials/game management caused the game to end early. Not sure why game ended and was forfeited. Was not an all out brawl, players didn't leave benches. I'm not there so don't want to second guess the first hand knowledge but would like to know why game ceased.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Mar 03, 2017, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Seemed to be managed fairly well (for a basketball fight) and much better than some videos that have arisen over the year.

Seems to be conflicting reports whether officials/game management caused the game to end early. Not sure why game ended and was forfeited. Was not an all out brawl, players didn't leave benches. I'm not there so don't want to second guess the first hand knowledge but would like to know why game ceased.
This has been my rookie year, so I have certainly appreciated the veteran advice. My question is should the one official have intervened to try to break up the fight? Especially to the point of ending up on the floor, on top of the players, trying to pull them apart? I always thought that physically intervening in a fight is the last thing that an official wanted to do. Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2017, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
This has been my rookie year, so I have certainly appreciated the veteran advice. My question is should the one official have intervened to try to break up the fight? Especially to the point of ending up on the floor, on top of the players, trying to pull them apart? I always thought that physically intervening in a fight is the last thing that an official wanted to do. Thanks.
I will try to intervene in the early stages and IF I think I have a chance. Once it appears that it's out of my control, I'm out.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2017, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Testosterone Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I will try to intervene in the early stages and if I think I have a chance.
Against high school girls? C'mon deecee, man up.

(I wouldn't go near that scrum with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole (with apologies to Dr. Seuss).)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 04, 2017 at 03:39pm.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 08:58am
Official & Member

Wow...that's ugly. And to quote the movie Anchorman..."That escalated really quickly". I've watched the video three times and I'm trying to decide whether the L did the right thing by jumping on the pile early to try to stop it. In all likelihood, he probably prevented some injuries...those three looked like they were going to tear each other apart. I'd be interested to know how the State viewed his response. His partners seemed to do I good job keeping the benches out of the fray but I wonder if they were able to get all the numbers of participants.

I honestly don't think I would have jumped in that way...especially a girls game. With cameras everywhere and lawyers aplenty, somebody would look to extract a pound of flesh and the officials are always an easy target.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post

Breaking up a fight or doing nothing as #34 is beating the head of red #2 may have the same consequences - depending on the lawyer "they" hire. If your state doesn't address this: Just do the right thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hawkeyes; Mon Mar 06, 2017 at 09:00am.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 03:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Can Sue Anybody For Almost Anything At Any Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
Breaking up a fight or doing nothing as #34 is beating the head of red #2 may have same the consequences - depending on the lawyer "they" hire.
Before I retired from teaching, teachers were told that if they allowed students to fight without, at least, making an attempt to break it up, that we could be sued if the participants were severely injured. The only option for us to not intercede was if we were concerned for our own safety. I sure hope that this doesn't apply to basketball officials as well.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 05, 2017 at 03:10pm.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I know it's early March, but Nevadaref's post is my nomination for Post O' The Month.

That's why the official was so intent on digging into the scrum, trying to get his hands on the illegal headband for evidence in a followup investigation of the fight.
Just as the post about who told the team about timeouts. So I guess you are qualified for the same award.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I also wonder why the game was ended early. I wonder if there were previous incidents between the schools or within the game. I wonder if something else happened following the end of the video and that lead to the ending of the game. I've seen games keep going with bigger fights than that happening.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I could see if one player is pounding on a relatively defenseless player and no one is intervening, I would definitely make an effort to restrain the aggressor. But I don't ever see jumping into the middle of a scrum like in the OP play.

Thanks all.