The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OU Kansas own player foul vid request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102331-ou-kansas-own-player-foul-vid-request.html)

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 27, 2017 09:33pm

OU Kansas own player foul vid request

10:22 first half espn

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20pm

Saw it live. Took me one replay to figure out that R4 had displaced W33 *into* the ball handler. Took the announcers about five, but they eventually came around as well.

Outstanding patient whistle by L. Not normally a call by itself but he saw the outcome and put air in the whistle. GREAT call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Feb 28, 2017 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1001301)
10:22 first half espn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhfaEAa6zQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Tue Feb 28, 2017 04:31pm

You have to get those foul or you're going to have rough play. I called something similar in a Christmas tournament game this season.

SNIPERBBB Tue Feb 28, 2017 04:56pm

Tv I was watching I couldnt make out what happened then lost track who they let shoot.

Da Official Tue Feb 28, 2017 05:08pm

Good call! Good job putting the correct person on the line!

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 1001345)

The monitor helps. [emoji3]

Wish I'd have had one earlier in the year when I let a wrong shooter take a bonus. Lost track in the chaos, shooter steps up…and let's just say I had an epiphany the next day when I reviewed the tape. Oops.

Monitors are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Wed Mar 01, 2017 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 1001345)

Easy when you can go look at the video replay on a monitor.
College officiating has become worse with the crutch of using replay.

frezer11 Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1001365)

I disagree. Even thought sometimes the replays may become tedious, the game is better. Plus, I don't think that comes at the expense of the officiating, they can't review every call, only certain ones in certain scenarios, so they cannot use it as a bailout on every call.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1001365)

We're somehow better cause we can't use a monitor to make sure we're 100% in certain areas of the game?

I disagree. We probably get it right initially less than they do, then when we screw up we have no mechanism to fix things.

Adam Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001373)
We're somehow better cause we can't use a monitor to make sure we're 100% in certain areas of the game?

I disagree. We probably get it right initially less than they do, then when we screw up we have no mechanism to fix things.

I think he's saying *they* were better before they knew they had replay to rely on.

BryanV21 Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38am

They say the same thing about replay in every other sport... it makes officials worse. IMO that's bull.

I think any official that gives a damn wants to get every call right every time. And they don't want to be proven wrong, whether that be by an observer or instant replay. So they work harder to get the call right the first time, because they know there can be millions of pairs of eyes on them at all times, and if they go to replay too often to get a call right they may very well lose their spot.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001379)
I think he's saying *they* were better before they knew they had replay to rely on.

Could be. But now they can focus differently, too. 2 or 3? For example, they can make a more "educated guess" on the feet live and focus more on whether there's a foul -- they know that the monitor can fix the shot.

I have no problem with that. They get it right in the end and that's all that matters to me. Give me a monitor and we'll use it, too.

frezer11 Wed Mar 01, 2017 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001387)
Could be. But now they can focus differently, too. 2 or 3? For example, they can make a more "educated guess" on the feet live and focus more on whether there's a foul -- they know that the monitor can fix the shot.

I have no problem with that. They get it right in the end and that's all that matters to me. Give me a monitor and we'll use it, too.

And for this reason, I would certainly argue that they are MORE accurate, because instead of marking the feet, and potentially missing contact on the arm, they can be certain about contact, and figure out the feet later. And this particular type of review is great, because it happens during a timeout, so minimal game time is actually affected because of it.

frezer11 Wed Mar 01, 2017 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1001381)
They say the same thing about replay in every other sport... it makes officials worse. IMO that's bull.

I think any official that gives a damn wants to get every call right every time. And they don't want to be proven wrong, whether that be by an observer or instant replay. So they work harder to get the call right the first time, because they know there can be millions of pairs of eyes on them at all times, and if they go to replay too often to get a call right they may very well lose their spot.

I've often wondered if NFL officials for example, almost feel slighted when when there is a coaches challenge on a call that they were right on top of. "Feel slighted" is a strong term, but when you are confident in your call, I wonder if they think to themselves "Wasted challenge there..."