The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102326-backcourt-violation.html)

MelbRef Sun Feb 26, 2017 07:16pm

Backcourt Violation

I talked with a fairly knowledgeable official recently who said this situation is a backcourt violation.

His assertion seems to violate my criteria of 1)Team Control, 2)Last to Touch/First to Touch

I wonder if there is some technicality that I'm missing...

- A1 inbounds the ball from their frontcourt endline.
- The inbound pass deflects off of A2 while in the front-court, and rolls into the backcourt.
- A3 retrieves the ball in the backcourt.

His ruling, "Backcourt Violation"

He says that if A2 retrieves the ball, rather than A3, it is not a backcourt violation.

Am I missing something? I don't see that Team Control in the front court has been established.

just another ref Sun Feb 26, 2017 07:25pm

First, he's wrong about the play. Second, which A player recovers the ball never is a factor in whether or not you have a backcourt violation.

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 26, 2017 07:45pm

Backcourt Violation

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1001214)
First, he's wrong about the play. Second, which A player recovers the ball never is a factor in whether or not you have a backcourt violation.

I second this, assuming we're talking about NCAA or NFHS.

NBA has some quirks to rule depending on time of game and other stuff I'm not too familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mregor Sun Feb 26, 2017 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 1001211)
I talked with a fairly knowledgeable official recently who said this situation is a backcourt violation.

- The inbound pass deflects off of A2 while in the front-court, and rolls into the backcourt.

Am I missing something?

You are missing nothing. Your friend is wrong.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37pm

Is he a FIBA ref?

MelbRef Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48pm

No, he's a NFHS ref.

Thanks guys...

BillyMac Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:50pm

Four Elements ...

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

Adam Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41am

He's confusing concepts. The exception that allows a player to catch a throw-in pass doesn't apply to anyone but the first player to touch the ball, but that doesn't apply to any other situation on the throw-in.

He's also getting that concept incorrect, but that's a different thread for your next conversation with him. I'd question whether he's "knowledgeable" about the rules. He may well be a great official, but his rules knowledge is suspect.

Raymond Mon Feb 27, 2017 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 1001211)

His assertion seems to violate my criteria of 1)Team Control, 2)Last to Touch/First to Touch

He says that if A2 retrieves the ball, rather than A3, it is not a backcourt violation.

Am I missing something? I don't see that Team Control in the front court has been established.

Any conversation that includes one team member being allowed to retrieve the ball, but not another team member, is not a knowledge-based conversation. ;)