The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

JRut, if in getting the ball it was knocked out of the shooter's grasp, then all that contact occurred I could maybe see your point, but shooter maintains the ball until he is contacted quite heavily by a non-vertical defender who contacts him, illegally IMO, on the arm and torso.

I have a hard time believing a college assigner/evaluator is going to look at that play and say they like the no call on that.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

1. Nice block. First contact is defender's hand on ball. Defender avoids any illegal contact with body. Shooter's strong momentum along baseline towards baseline is abruptly halted by the larger defender's block. The fact the shooter falls down is just physics.

2. Good help.

3. Put him on the line.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
JRut, if in getting the ball it was knocked out of the shooter's grasp, then all that contact occurred I could maybe see your point, but shooter maintains the ball until he is contacted quite heavily by a non-vertical defender who contacts him, illegally IMO, on the arm and torso.

I have a hard time believing a college assigner/evaluator is going to look at that play and say they like the no call on that.
All college supervisors or evaluates are not the same. I cannot speak for all of them or suggest that everyone agrees one way or the other.

But if the first major contact was with the ball and part of the follow through is contact with other parts of the body, I have yet to run into any supervisor that has players of this ability and height (and yes there are high school players that are this big in many places) to suggest what you are suggesting. Yes the defender might have jumped from A to B in the air, but his initial contact appears to be with the ball and mostly the ball. I have not ever had a clinician at a college game suggest that is a good foul to call. Again, that is my experience. I will not speak for others or other parts of the country.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post

Personally, I like a blocked shot but a LOT of contact (before or after touching the ball) on an airborne player is a foul to me. If this official looks at this video, I don't think he will like the no call, either.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Personally, I like a blocked shot but a LOT of contact (before or after touching the ball) on an airborne player is a foul to me. If this official looks at this video, I don't think he will like the no call, either.
Don't be so sure about that one. I doubt other than me posting this it was much of a though unless the supervisor said something. And I doubt that happened either. Just a guess, but I have never seen this play highlighted as being a foul at the college level. They put out videos every week too.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't be so sure about that one. I doubt other than me posting this it was much of a though unless the supervisor said something. And I doubt that happened either. Just a guess, but I have never seen this play highlighted as being a foul at the college level. They put out videos every week too.

Peace
I don't know about "highlighting" anything on any level but I see a lot less contact than this every night on TV that is routinely called a foul. College level. Admittedly, most of the games I watch are ACC contests but those guys are not bad officials.

Also, I didn't consult with any supervisors when making my humble opinion. Thanks for all your work on the videos. I save a lot of them for review next fall at our meetings.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't know about "highlighting" anything on any level but I see a lot less contact than this every night on TV that is routinely called a foul. College level. Admittedly, most of the games I watch are ACC contests but those guys are not bad officials.
The issue is not how much contact as contact can be severe and never be a foul, the issue is how did the contact take place or is the play an acceptable amount on a blocked shot. I watch a lot of ACC games and I see nothing different here than I would in those games. The reality is that many officials that work in the BIG, work in the ACC (especially now). Not saying anything about the quality of the officials, just stating that I see nothing highlighted in weekly videos that this should be a foul and there are many similar plays like this every week. Now if you can find me a play where that shows this as a foul, I will post it for the very same reason I did here. Because if a foul was called, you would have heard the same reaction from the Purdue side of the gym.

Quote:
Also, I didn't consult with any supervisors when making my humble opinion. Thanks for all your work on the videos. I save a lot of them for review next fall at our meetings.
Thanks. Glad you like them and can use them. That after all is the point.

Well I post the videos for these discussions. That is what I love about them as it brings a lot of different point of views to the table. Not all of us are right or wrong, we just are sharing our judgment process. At the end of the day someone else will decide what we should do or not do.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's why those guys make the big bucks. Much easier to officiate play if you think contact = foul.

DJ had a good look and passed. That's good enough for me.
Actually, this would've been hard for the L to see in my opinion because of where the contact occurred. I think T probably has the best look.