The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good steal? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102282-good-steal-video.html)

JRutledge Sun Feb 19, 2017 03:27pm

Good steal? (Video)

Coach complained about this play. I want the opinion of the peanut gallery.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CNkKgBigtwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

jpgc99 Sun Feb 19, 2017 03:49pm

Foul on the defense as the player received the pass. Defense body's up and pushes with a forearm.

The steal itself seems to be legal if you pass on the initial foul and then some pushing by both players before the ball is stolen.

bucky Sun Feb 19, 2017 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1000625)
Coach complained about this play. I want the opinion of the peanut gallery.

Peace

Nothing at all, play on.

Blindolbat Sun Feb 19, 2017 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 1000627)
Foul on the defense as the player received the pass. Defense body's up and pushes with a forearm.

The steal itself seems to be legal if you pass on the initial foul and then some pushing by both players before the ball is stolen.

I'm here. More contact happened on the catch. The steal itself later in the play looked like nothing.

deecee Sun Feb 19, 2017 04:42pm

I've got nothing.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 19, 2017 06:40pm

White 35 fouled the opponent twice. The other defender, #2, who eventually stole the ball did not foul, but his steal was aided by the second foul of his teammate.

Rich Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1000647)
White 35 fouled the opponent twice. The other defender, #2, who eventually stole the ball did not foul, but his steal was aided by the second foul of his teammate.

I agree. The first one was on the pass where the offensive player was forced towards the division line.

I don't know how anyone can say this was nothing.

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 20, 2017 09:00am

35 White fouls the pass receiver near the division line before the play in question occurs. His frustration probably led to him embellishing any illegal contact on the actual steal.

Remington Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 1000627)

Agree with this 100%. The initial foul at 5:13 on the game clock needs a whistle IMO.

Pantherdreams Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36am

Feel like I'm saying this a lot lately maybe it has to do with my head space adapting between leagues. If the initial contact and result on the catch is not enough to get you a call, then the less severe contact on the reach is not getting you the call just because he's going to lose the footrace.

As other have said I probably have something before this and the reach is non factor.

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 20, 2017 04:38pm

Posting without looking at other comments first...to avoid confirmation bias.

The first/unsuccessful steal attempt....probably a foul, but at this level of game I'm probably holding my whistle to see how it develops, and since Black was clearly going to track it down....play on.

The second/successful steal is not a foul (and a Hollywood flop by the steal victim). At this point I'm probably thinking, "well crap, now I kinda wish I did get the first one, but it's too late." It is what it is. Coach is not going to be happy and probably said something like "get 'em off!" Oh well....

Now I shall read the other posts.

Follow-Up: I think for the most part this is generally agreed upon. I couldn't see it but I'd like to know where C was looking on the first contact. He's the guy with the best view, an open look, and really nothing else to officiate in his primary. When we finally do see him later, he seems to be looking in the low post and then gets surprised by the steal. Makes me wonder if he was looking in the low post before, too. If so, no one may have had an educated opinion on the first contact.

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2017 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1000732)
Posting without looking at other comments first...to avoid confirmation bias.

The first/unsuccessful steal attempt....probably a foul, but at this level of game I'm probably holding my whistle to see how it develops, and since Black was clearly going to track it down....play on.

The second/successful steal is not a foul (and a Hollywood flop by the steal victim). At this point I'm probably thinking, "well crap, now I kinda wish I did get the first one, but it's too late." It is what it is. Coach is not going to be happy and probably said something like "get 'em off!" Oh well....

Now I shall read the other posts.

I hope I hit the whistle when the bump forces the player to go chase down the ball. That's too much to let go for me.

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2017 04:52pm

Déjà Vu All Over Again (Yogi Berra) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1000732)
"well crap, now I kinda wish I did get the first one, but it's too late."

Been there. Done that.

BigCat Mon Feb 20, 2017 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000674)
I agree. The first one was on the pass where the offensive player was forced towards the division line.

I don't know how anyone can say this was nothing.

I have nothing. Defender got hand in. Offense wasn't forced to division line, imo, it's where the ball went. Both don't look great but I don't see fouls live or slo mo. Now again, I don't know the temp of the game. I don't have a foul in a high level high school game or a college game on this.

(I don't think there was much of a bump on first one at all. ) if there's a foul it might be a slap, grab etc. I just don't see a bump.

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2017 05:45pm

I disagree. I'm calling that in a high level HS game. Shrug.