The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Late Season Follies

Had a league playoff game earlier this week. Home team had beaten visiting team 2x during the regular season both by 20+ points. First half visiting team is playing quite well and home team is not. Visiting team in 2nd quarter has an 11 point lead which is reduced to 7 just before the break. Home team likes to press, but is just a step slow in the back court which is allowing the visiting team to break it.

First 30 seconds of the 2nd half home team gets 3 steals off a press and we have a 1 point game in no time. Home team is attacking the basket every opportunity they get. Halfway through the 3rd quarter and the foul count is now 6-0 against the visiting team and they've had more fouls and turnovers than shots in the 3Q. Almost on cue the visiting team HC starts chirping '6-0 on fouls, changing the game yada, yada yada' I'm aware of the count and doing my best to make sure I don't miss anything on the visiting team. I'm not finding anything, just turnovers and missed shots.

Later in 3Q AC for visiting team earns a T for yapping at partner. I walk to partner and make sure we're on the same page with administration. He walks to the other end of the court to begin the FT administration. I'm about 2-3 steps in frontcourt, tableside. Normally I let the coach sit down on his own and don't remind him of his loss of the box, but this coach isn't making any movement to sit down. He's still ticked at the turn of events in the game. He's still squatting in his box.

Me: (calm, measured voice. Still in FC) Coach as a reminder you've lost your box and need to remain seated the rest of the game.
Coach: (confused look) Why do I have to sit down? He (home team HC) doesn't have to sit down.
Me: You've lost your box coach you need to remain seated.
Coach: (elevated voice) The T wasn't even on me!!
Me: Coach I'm not going to remind you again.
Coach: (loud voice) I am seated!!

I wait until the FT for the 1st T has ended and then I issue another one to HC. We shoot two more. Naturally visiting team's (who has driven from a distance for game) fans are now up in arms. We finish the FTs and go about our business.

After the Ts the game gets more under control. We don't hear anything significant from visiting fans and bench is under control. Only heard one other thing from V HC and that was a time out request. Even home team HC, who can be vocal at times, and was on my partners' radar calmed down and didn't say anything to us after them. Visiting team starts making some plays but can never get over the hump and they lose by 9 and their season concludes.

End of the season games are always such fun times. A lot on the line and a lot of emotion always in play. I actually have the home team in a playoff game on Saturday. That too will be a fun time I'm sure!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 01:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
I actually have the home team in a playoff game on Saturday. That too will be a fun time I'm sure!
Don't forget your duct tape.