The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Women's South Carolina @ UConn plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102257-womens-south-carolina-uconn-plays-video.html)

JRutledge Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:46am

Women's South Carolina @ UConn plays (Video)

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/chRHLX36628" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/56s7q_8014g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bucky Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:53am

Play 1: Clearly in RA. Where was help from C to provide that info?

Play 2: I thought defender leaning but....notice that it is same official making call as in play 1. Perhaps a makeup call.

frezer11 Tue Feb 14, 2017 08:57am

I have blocks on both. On play 1, I'm not even sure the RA part matters, that looks like a block in HS. But the fact that it is there is more proof to me that it should be a block.

Rich Tue Feb 14, 2017 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000191)
Play 1: Clearly in RA. Where was help from C to provide that info?

Play 2: I thought defender leaning but....notice that it is same official making call as in play 1. Perhaps a makeup call.

A makeup call? Are you serious? Do you give "makeup calls?"

BlueDevilRef Tue Feb 14, 2017 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000199)
A makeup call? Are you serious? Do you give "makeup calls?"

I'm not smart enough to remember which team I "screwed" and is deserving of a "makeup" call

walt Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20am

Play #1 - I am guessing he didn't rule this a transition play and instead had the UConn player catch the pass in the LDB which means the RA is not a factor. I am not sure the defender was in position before offensive player left the floor. Tough bang bang play but he is right there to see it.

Play#2 - Consistent call. Tough PC call on one end and a tough similar PC call on the other.

todd66 Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33am

I agree with Walt. Good game management as similar plays called the same on both ends of the floor.

Rich Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34am

On #1, I cringed when the announcer said "time and space." My goodness.

Both tough, tough calls. And frankly, if I'm shipping one that's that close at one end, I'm doing the same at the other.

I fantasize about being able to step out and report in my HS games like they can in those games.

OKREF Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000208)

Both tough, tough calls. And frankly, if I'm shipping one that's that close at one end, I'm doing the same at the other.

Agreed. I think they are both blocks, but at least they both got shipped.

AremRed Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:19pm

Anyone else watch this game? I thought it was poorly officiated, clear crashes and rough being ignored and inconsistent foul recognition. Roughest women's game I've ever seen.

Rich Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:25pm

I'd rather eat lead paint.

BryanV21 Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:26pm

I see two blocks here. I'm a HS official, and we don't have the RA, but it shouldn't have mattered because the first play was a block anyway.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 14, 2017 09:03pm

Both blocks....without or without the RA.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 15, 2017 04:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000244)
I'd rather eat lead paint.

Classy comment.
Hope that you don't assign officials to any girls games in your area.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 05:43am

You have no idea why I said what I said.

But hey, jump to conclusions.

For what it's worth, I don't want to watch any game I know will be a huge blowout before it even starts. Yawn.

Don't even know why I'm explaining myself to you.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 15, 2017 06:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000265)
You have no idea why I said what I said.

But hey, jump to conclusions.

For what it's worth, I don't want to watch any game I know will be a huge blowout before it even starts. Yawn.

Don't even know why I'm explaining myself to you.

Huge blow-out? Final score was 66-55. Talk about being your own worst enemy. Keep digging that hole.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:07am

Pot. Kettle.Black.

Here's Nevada for his quarterly attack on me, which never ends well for him.

Keep going, pal.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000278)
Pot. Kettle.Black.

Here's Nevada for his quarterly attack on me, which never ends well for him.

Keep going, pal.

It is not just an attack on you. It is moral judgment (at anyone) of what we do in an extra-curricular activity.

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1000280)
It is not just an attack on you. It is moral judgment (at anyone) of what we do in an extra-curricular activity.

Peace

I just don't enjoy watching a team that I know is going to win and (usually) win big. 100 straight wins? Yawn.

I watch as much NBA basketball as I do NCAAW on TV. It's not my thing. Bores me. I've lived in the Madison area 15 years and I've been to 2 NCAAW games, even though the tickets are frequently $1.

What this has to do with my assigning or even my officiating, I have no idea. I use my best officials on both genders as the nights typically don't overlap here. And only a handful work only girls or only boys, usually cause they work college ball.

No, it's the usual thing.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000281)
I just don't enjoy watching a team that I know is going to win and (usually) win big. 100 straight wins? Yawn.

I watch as much NBA basketball as I do NCAAW on TV. It's not my thing. Bores me. I've lived in the Madison area 15 years and I've been to 2 NCAAW games, even though the tickets are frequently $1.

What this has to do with my assigning or even my officiating, I have no idea. I use my best officials on both genders as the nights typically don't overlap here. And only a handful work only girls or only boys, usually cause they work college ball.

No, it's the usual thing.

That is why to me girls basketball is not much fun to watch or officiate. Most of the time it is very predictable, outside of the other things that do not interest me in the game. And since I get to choose what I watch or officiate, I choose not watch or officiate girls or women's basketball.

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1000285)
That is why to me girls basketball is not much fun to watch or officiate. Most of the time it is very predictable, outside of the other things that do not interest me in the game. And since I get to choose what I watch or officiate, I choose not watch or officiate girls or women's basketball.

Peace

I still work girls games. 2 of the best games I was ever part of were girls games. I don't think it's a crime to admit that you enjoy working boys games more, either. I do, too.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000294)
I still work girls games. 2 of the best games I was ever part of were girls games. I don't think it's a crime to admit that you enjoy working boys games more, either. I do, too.

That is the problem I have seen my entire career. When I started officiating I never even imagined working girls basketball. It did not cross my mind until I was asked to work those games. In our area we often have to choose or if you want to work boys predominately, you have to let go of the girls basketball. Part of that is also because of the playoffs. Right now the girls playoffs have started and if you are working boys basketball, the regular season is still going on. It makes it very difficult to work both and giving back boys games to work girls playoffs also is not looked highly on. Many assignors only assign one or the other, but usually not both. I do not think I have worked a single girls game in like 2 years and when I did it was one game that season as a favor to someone I respect and gives me a lot of very good games.

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1000296)
That is the problem I have seen my entire career. When I started officiating I never even imagined working girls basketball. It did not cross my mind until I was asked to work those games. In our area we often have to choose or if you want to work boys predominately, you have to let go of the girls basketball. Part of that is also because of the playoffs. Right now the girls playoffs have started and if you are working boys basketball, the regular season is still going on. It makes it very difficult to work both and giving back boys games to work girls playoffs also is not looked highly on. Many assignors only assign one or the other, but usually not both. I do not think I have worked a single girls game in like 2 years and when I did it was one game that season as a favor to someone I respect and gives me a lot of very good games.

Peace

Here they typically don't play BBB on the night of a girls regional - and the boys season is typically over the Thursday of the first week of the boys playoffs.

My games next week are a boys regular season game, a girls regional, a boys regular season game, and a girls regional.

After that, both boys and girls are in the postseason.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000302)
Here they typically don't play BBB on the night of a girls regional - and the boys season is typically over the Thursday of the first week of the boys playoffs.

My games next week are a boys regular season game, a girls regional, a boys regular season game, and a girls regional.

After that, both boys and girls are in the postseason.

Well our post season starts in this order by week.

1A-2A girls regional
3A-4A girls regional (This is the week we are in right now)
1A-2A boys regional
3A-4A boys regional

All playoffs start with a week of regional. Then two games in the Sectional (4 teams), Super-Sectional (usually held on a college campus) and then State Finals which includes the Semifinals and Title game in each class.

I work mostly 3A-4A boys for two reasons. Mostly that is what is in the area and what I set goals to work. Also we are allowed to not accept or not make ourselves eligible for any of these 4 levels. I used to get playoffs with the smaller school boys (which used do be Class A in a two class system) but over the last several years I was not given any of these assignments. So I stopped trying to get them in the future. That might change at some point, but not right now.

Peace

SC Official Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:21pm

I would love to never have to work another girls basketball game again.

Waiting for Nevada to judge my moral character for that comment.

Postseason already underway in SC. Boys and girls, all classifications. First round finishes tonight. We work whatever the state gives us and don't get to pick boys or girls.

Kansas Ref Wed Feb 15, 2017 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1000334)
I would love to never have to work another girls basketball game again. .

*What's wrong with working girl's games?
You don't have a tolerance for the 39 [or more] held balls during those games?

Welpe Wed Feb 15, 2017 04:54pm

Blocks on both....

...and everyone play nicely.

so cal lurker Wed Feb 15, 2017 04:54pm

Your arms get tired from tossing all those jump balls! . . . oh, wait, never mind, that changed -- that was back when I used to do 5th through 8th grade games many moons ago . . .

BillyMac Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:14pm

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1000371)
Your arms get tired from tossing all those jump balls! . . . oh, wait, never mind, that changed -- that was back when I used to do 5th through 8th grade games many moons ago . . .

I remember. Thank God for the alternating possession arrow.