The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I like the college rule. I love the college rule. Because the main person that could even hear such a request would be the Center and that person cannot see the ball. Even then the ball is so far away from them this would still be a hard call.

Peace
The lead would be right in front of this coach or pretty close to him. He can see if the player possesses best he can and make a decision.....JUST AS WE DO in a HS game. To me, there's a better chance of granting this timeout with a coach allowed to request it.

I do think the player in the middle of the floor requests a time out in time, but there's no way the crew is getting that quickly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
How can #1 NOT be a crew saver? Unless you were having to look through players to see, that is so egregious you could see that from any spot on the floor, or the 30th row.
What are you SAVING the crew from? One missed travel call early in the first half?

If that damages the crew credibility, then the crew has damned little to begin with.

That said, if I see it out of my peripheral, I'm coming to get that. It's obvious and out in the open. But what if I'm watching two post players banging for position and I don't see it? It gets missed, life goes on.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Fiba t/o

In FIBA you can not call a time out during a live ball. Timeouts have to be requested at the table by one of the coaches and are given at the first dead ball opportunity.

So when offence panics and gets caught in a trap, they cannot bail out by calling a time out.

Takes the debate out of should a time out be granted, who should call it and will the officials miss the request.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The lead would be right in front of this coach or pretty close to him. He can see if the player possesses best he can and make a decision.....JUST AS WE DO in a HS game. To me, there's a better chance of granting this timeout with a coach allowed to request it.
Yeah and I tend to not grant timeouts in high school games that far away when possession is at issue.

Quote:
I do think the player in the middle of the floor requests a time out in time, but there's no way the crew is getting that quickly enough.
That is my point.

Quote:
What are you SAVING the crew from? One missed travel call early in the first half?

If that damages the crew credibility, then the crew has damned little to begin with.
And egregious violation that is obvious is a crew saver. It has nothing to do with the time of the game IMO. Because you can go games and not have a situation where no such egregious situation even taking place. This was one of them.

Quote:
That said, if I see it out of my peripheral, I'm coming to get that. It's obvious and out in the open. But what if I'm watching two post players banging for position and I don't see it? It gets missed, life goes on.
It was not out of the corner of his eye. The competitive match-up in his area changed.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And egregious violation that is obvious is a crew saver. It has nothing to do with the time of the game IMO. Because you can go games and not have a situation where no such egregious situation even taking place. This was one of them.
You and I will just have to disagree on what's a crew saver. No biggy.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You and I will just have to disagree on what's a crew saver. No biggy.
I also think you are taking the "crew saver" line differently than I mean it. The point is they got a clear violation that was without question would have been missed. Just thinking a play might have been is different than without question it was a violation. And any other close call in that game could be questioned seriously if you cannot get this one right.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I also think you are taking the "crew saver" line differently than I mean it. The point is they got a clear violation that was without question would have been missed. Just thinking a play might have been is different than without question it was a violation. And any other close call in that game could be questioned seriously if you cannot get this one right.

Peace
Picture yourself at a school where both coaches know you and your partners EXTREMELY well.

And then you miss a travel, even an obvious one.

I doubt your credibility would suffer at all. You have history as do these officials with those teams.