The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa St @ Kansas (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102213-iowa-st-kansas-video.html)

JRutledge Sat Feb 04, 2017 04:35pm

Iowa St @ Kansas (Video)

Block-Charge call.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s1tzPG-rAk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Sat Feb 04, 2017 09:18pm

I can go with the Defender's leg being outside his natural stance.

Mr.C Sat Feb 04, 2017 09:30pm

agreed, I think block also

hamnegger Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:00am

Block as well due to the leg

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 06, 2017 05:54pm

looks like a charge to me

Hugh Refner Mon Feb 06, 2017 08:00pm

Watching the video in one of its slow motion showings, it appears that the defender just slightly leaned to his right which means he was still "moving" at the time of the contact. It's a block.

JRutledge Mon Feb 06, 2017 08:18pm

I have a charge all the way. I do not see anything the defender did wrong. But that is why I post these videos, because I want us all to think through why we call things.

Peace

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 06, 2017 08:59pm

If I'm new L on that play getting beat (understandable), I don't have a good look at what the defender's leg is doing, and I don't think I'd be able to pay that much attention to it provided anything there was subtle. Only thing I'm really looking at is the RA and the torso.

I watched that play live and had a charge all the way. Saw the L signal block, and thought maybe he'd point at the RA. Didn't happen. Then I thought, "CI." Watched the replay, and confirmed that while it was very close, the defender was outside of the RA.

Hey, he's human. Lord knows I've messed up a block/charge call in my time. But this was a critical call at a critical point in a big game. Unfortunate miss.

80/20 charge in real time....and that's being generous.

Altor Mon Feb 06, 2017 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 999462)
<snip> Only thing I'm really looking at is the RA and the torso.

I watched that play live and had a charge all the way. Saw the L signal block, and thought maybe he'd point at the RA. Didn't happen. Then I thought, "CI." Watched the replay, and confirmed that while it was very close, the defender was outside of the RA.<snip>

Is there something about this play that brings the RA into play that I am missing? The defender obtained LGP out near the FT line. The contact is near the RA, but my understanding is that the RA is only for obtaining LGP and the defender can back up once obtained.

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 06, 2017 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 999467)
Is there something about this play that brings the RA into play that I am missing? The defender obtained LGP out near the FT line. The contact is near the RA, but my understanding is that the RA is only for obtaining LGP and the defender can back up once obtained.

Not a collegiate official, so you very well may be right. In fact based on the points from the other B/C video that JRut posted tonight, I'd say I'm almost certain that you're right. Good point.

Still an 80/20 charge, IMHO, however.

ballgame99 Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42am

Charge. Twice on Sunday.

OKREF Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31am

It looks to me like he is moving his right leg towards the offensive player.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 999457)
I have a charge all the way. I do not see anything the defender did wrong. But that is why I post these videos, because I want us all to think through why we call things.

Peace

As a life long KU fan, I have a charge every time.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41am

I'm looking at the torso - that's where the contact is. I don't see the torso moving illegally here. I'm shipping it if I get a good look.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 999455)
Watching the video in one of its slow motion showings, it appears that the defender just slightly leaned to his right which means he was still "moving" at the time of the contact. It's a block.

That's not the rule, and you know it.