The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cal @ USC RA play near the end of game (Video)

This was requested some time ago.

Just as a reminder, please make these requests (to me at least) on the page soon after the game. It makes it easier to find or to know if I have recorded the game. Or at the very least send a PM, not put in on my profile where I have no idea most of the time you are making the request.

But here is the play. Discuss away.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Blocking foul. Two shots. Line them up.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

In real time I can see officials missing the RA aspect here. However it should be an RA play based on the amount of videos and emphasis on the level of contact expected on plays to rim AND the RA that have been circulated the last couple years.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 08:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Initial guarding position is established outside of the restricted area and then the defender gives ground and the offensive player slips by with little contact. I have a no-call call on this.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for posting JRut. Wow!! This play was a lot closer than I was informed about. This is a very tough play considering the time and situation. A lot to be learned from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In real time I can see officials missing the RA aspect here. However it should be an RA play based on the amount of videos and emphasis on the level of contact expected on plays to rim AND the RA that have been circulated the last couple years.
I don't like where the L is positioned on the court in front of the endline or how his head position is no-where remotely looking at the RA; it is completely upward. The C could officiate upward action to the rim and would have a difficult view picking up defender's feet due to USC #22 obstructing the sight-line one this play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Initial guarding position is established outside of the restricted area and then the defender gives ground and the offensive player slips by with little contact. I have a no-call call on this.
I agree with your assessment and like the no-call as well.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 07:54pm
Official Fiveum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think you described it well so put me down on the list of those who agree with you as to the no-call.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 08:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I also have a no call. The defender backed off and basically the shooter jumped right by him. I would not have called that a foul no matter where it was on the floor, just being in the RA does not change the status of the contact if there would have been no foul in the first place IMO.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, great no-call! Defender has LGP outside the RA. Ball-handler elevates into the defender's vertical plane but does not charge into or through his torso. On top of that, a fantastic block at the apex. An entertainingly athletic play by all involved, but great, disciplined game-saving defense and an outstanding no-call.