The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Partner - No Pants (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102189-partner-no-pants.html)

packersowner Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:05pm

Partner - No Pants

What would you do if your partner showed up without his/her black pants in the following situations?

1. Found a pair of sweat pants that are black but need to be turned inside out to hide school logo

2. Found a pair of black shorts

3. Found a pair of dress pants that were another dark color besides black

Assuming its 40-45 minute round trip drive...

jTheUmp Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:10pm

Do what you gotta do.

And make sure your partner buys the first round during the post-game rehydration session.

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:31pm

Nothing I would do or worry about. They can wear whatever they are comfortable with in a jam. Dress pants, sweats (who cares about the logo) or jeans if that is all they got. If they are OK with it, I am in love with it. I would be more concerned with the fact they have shoes to run in.

This is the reason I have a second pair of everything sitting in my bag at all times.

Peace

Rich Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:50pm

I had to borrow pants from a partner twice now in my career. Thankfully, they were close in size, although the one time I Welmered more than Welmer ever did.

I've returned the favor twice -- with shoes.

Stuff happens.

Welpe Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:57pm

A partner with no pants is better than no partner....well usually.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:57pm

Mark, Jr.'s third year of officiating and I am his chauffer and valet for boys' JV game and I am not his partner for the game. We leave for the game and my "better half" asks me why I am not taking my bag in case his partner does not show up. I tell her with confidence that I am sure that he will be there.

We get to the game site. And Mark's partner (neither Mark nor I have ever officiated with him and do not know him) is still not there and it is 20 minutes before game time. The AD doesn't have Mark's partner's cell phone but Mark does and we call it. His wife answers the phone and tells us that he is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer at that very moment and she thought that she had notified all of this assigners that he was not officiating anymore.

Mark, like the good official that I had taught him to be, had a second shirt which I wore along with one of the extra whistle and lanyard he had packed. The AD found me a pair of sneakers in the lost & found box in the gym teachers office and I wore the khaki slacks that I had worn to the game. The sneakers were low cuts so my right ankle was sore after the game but we got it done.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I have always taken my bag after that when I go to watch him officiate. And there have been two other occasions since then when I had to fill in as his partner.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 998899)
A partner with no pants is better than no partner....well usually.

Yeah, it could be Padgett with no pants.

MTD, Sr.

bossman72 Mon Jan 30, 2017 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 998901)
Mark, Jr.'s third year of officiating and I am his chauffer and valet for boys' JV game and I am not his partner for the game. We leave for the game and my "better half" asks me why I am not taking my bag in case his partner does not show up. I tell her with confidence that I am sure that he will be there.

We get to the game site. And Mark's partner (neither Mark nor I have ever officiated with him and do not know him) is still not there and it is 20 minutes before game time. The AD doesn't have Mark's partner's cell phone but Mark does and we call it. His wife answers the phone and tells us that he is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer at that very moment and she thought that she had notified all of this assigners that he was not officiating anymore.

Mark, like the good official that I had taught him to be, had a second shirt which I wore along with one of the extra whistle and lanyard he had packed. The AD found me a pair of sneakers in the lost & found box in the gym teachers office and I wore the khaki slacks that I had worn to the game. The sneakers were low cuts so my right ankle was sore after the game but we got it done.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I have always taken my bag after that when I go to watch him officiate. And there have been two other occasions since then when I had to fill in as his partner.

I always have an "emergency uniform" in my trunk for football and baseball, just in case. It's all old worn out stuff that is about ready for the trash, but helps if you forget something or you need to help an assignor out in a pinch. Never leaves the trunk.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 30, 2017 02:41pm

I almost learned a valuable lesson the hard way this weekend. I flew out to a tournament, and I had checked 2 bags -- 1 with my referee clothes, and 1 with my other stuff. Only one bag made the connection, arriving aroung 1 PM, and my other suitcase was not going to be in until about 8:30 PM. I had games at 4:30 and 6 PM.

Luckily, the suitcase that DID make it was the one with my referee gear in it. But it could have been a disaster. Won't make that mistake again.

BlueDevilRef Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:06pm

No better feeling than Redding in underwear only. I'd tell him to just go with it. [emoji38]

Honestly, who cares? As long as he has something and can get the job done.

Kansas Ref Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:15pm

Had partner once a few years back forget whistle and no one could find a spare; he just yelled the relevant foul or violation--fortunately it was 8th grade girls so we had lots and lots and lots and lots of 'held balls'--which worked out for us.

Raymond Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:19pm

Yoga pants are an option if your partner is J-Lo or a Khardashian.

griblets Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:35pm

No pants? No uniform...

This post reminds me of a recently found photo of a freshmen game I played in the late 80's. Take a look at the ref "uniforms." Someone must have stolen their entire bag of gear! I can't believe I don't remember that. I especially like the McDonald's colors of the official table side.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0s7zqufal...orms.jpeg?dl=0

(really wish I knew how to embed that photo instead of the dropbox link)

Welpe Mon Jan 30, 2017 04:06pm

You can upload it here and then embed from that link:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Boy that is wild. Love the matching teal t-shirt and shorts outfit too.

grunewar Wed Feb 01, 2017 08:02am

I pretty much bring an extra everything in my bag - pants, shirts, socks, shoes, etc., just in case I have a "uniform malfunction." I've given out or leant whistles, socks, and even my extra pair of court shoes one night last season.

Sometimes, when I show up with my HUGE, ref bag, I get asked, "What do you carry in there?" Better to be safe, than sorry.