The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jersey Numbers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102188-jersey-numbers.html)

packersowner Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:02pm

Jersey Numbers

I think this jersey number is legal according to 3-4-3e but I find it really hard to identify these numbers. The yellow jersey is not as bad, but when its a black with yellow outline, it becomes harder.

Anyone else seeing these in their areas?

I wish there was a minimum outline width, I think it would help.

Example:

https://www.lucidchart.com/publicSeg...d0b0/image.png

deecee Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998888)
I think this jersey number is legal according to 3-4-3e but I find it really hard to identify these numbers. The yellow jersey is not as bad, but when its a black with yellow outline, it becomes harder.

Example:

Lol ya, we want additional uniform rules in place. Who cares.

packersowner Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:45pm

...who cares?

The guy/gal who is trying to see what player committed the foul.

I think this is a different discussion than how many sleeves a player has on or what color they are, or how many logos are on the headband, etc.

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:47pm

Not having any problems seeing these jerseys and tired of micromanaging the uniforms anymore than we do.

Can we find something else to worry about please?

Peace

deecee Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998896)
...who cares?

I think this is a different discussion than how many sleeves a player has on or what color they are, or how many logos are on the headband, etc.

No it's not. If you cannot track the player to the number that committed the foul then short of led's for numbers you have bigger issues in this profession. If the uniforms cause such an issue in your games, then also reference my previous statement.

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2017 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998896)
...who cares?

Yes who cares. If you have issues with seeing these numbers, then maybe you need to do a deeper vision test. I can see these rather easily and never ever thought about this. And honestly many of us do not care about sleeves either. We wish those rules were not there and I was outspoken in my area as to why this was even an issue. Why would I care what sleeves someone wears when everyone has a different skin tone and we somehow seem to be OK with that fact. I only even enforce those sleeves and logo rules because the state seems to care about them. But I do not measure any logo and do not split hairs with color if they are trying to match. Your suggestion takes a rule to make something better for you personally and not what is really hard to recognize for everyone. So yes, who cares about this rule as the number is clearly on the uniform.

Peace

Rich Mon Jan 30, 2017 02:30pm

Quote:

Example:

These seem easier to see than a lot of numbers I've seen in the last few years.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:06pm

Quote:

I find it really hard to identify these numbers.

It appears to be a "2."

You're welcome.

packersowner Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 998903)
Yes who cares. If you have issues with seeing these numbers, then maybe you need to do a deeper vision test. I can see these rather easily and never ever thought about this. And honestly many of us do not care about sleeves either. We wish those rules were not there and I was outspoken in my area as to why this was even an issue. Why would I care what sleeves someone wears when everyone has a different skin tone and we somehow seem to be OK with that fact. I only even enforce those sleeves and logo rules because the state seems to care about them. But I do not measure any logo and do not split hairs with color if they are trying to match. Your suggestion takes a rule to make something better for you personally and not what is really hard to recognize for everyone. So yes, who cares about this rule as the number is clearly on the uniform.

Peace

If you don't care, you don't have to reply.

packersowner Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 998913)
It appears to be a "2."

You're welcome.

Thank you

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2017 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998916)
If you don't care, you don't have to reply.

Well you asked on an open forum. I commented like have the right to do. And you were suggesting a rule change for something that is personal, which is usually a bad way to change a rule that could influence a lot more people.

I also did not say your question was the dumbest I have ever seen on this forum as was stated by someone else about another topic, which I could have said, but would not have been true.

See how that works?

Peace

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2017 05:45pm

Like White On Rice ...

Quote:

Last week I had white numerals on (almost all) white jerseys, with just a very thin black border around the numeral. I had to really concentrate and take a second look on foul calls.

Looked it up. Legal.