The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul for touching over th sideline on throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102187-technical-foul-touching-over-th-sideline-throw.html)

rbruno Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56am

Technical Foul for touching over th sideline on throw in

High school rules. Player A reaches through the boundary plane and hits throw in pass after it leaves the throwers hands on the out of bounds side of the plane. This is still a player technical foul correct.

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 998883)
High school rules. Player A reaches through the boundary plane and hits throw in pass after it leaves the throwers hands on the out of bounds side of the plane. This is still a player technical foul correct.

Yes.

10-4-10.

Peace

Robert E. Harrison Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47pm

After the release

I thought in FED the defense could touch the ball after the release of the ball as long as the release is not to another teammate that is out of bounds after a made basket.

ART. 10. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her
person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the
ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
PENALTIES: (Art. 10)

Freddy Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59pm

What the original poster describes is theoretically LEGAL.
"The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane", 7-6-2. However, an opponent doing the same thing is not expressly forbidden.
It's gonna be a close call, however, because according to 7-6-4, "the opponent of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass." But if the opponent waits for the release and then contacts the ball on "the other side of the line", that's legal.

BigCat Mon Jan 30, 2017 01:14pm

Quote:

No. It is not unless the thrower was passing the ball to a teammate out of bounds along the end line. 10-4-10 references penalty in rule 9. Opponent cannot reach through boundary and touch ball while thrower possesses it. Or if passing to teammate also out of bounds after made goal. Those are Ts.

Once thrower releases ball and it isn't going to a teammate on end line after a goal opponents can break plane. Not even violation. Not a T.

NcaaM doesn't allow opponent to break plane until ball crosses it. Repeated infrac is class B T.

NoFussRef Tue Jan 31, 2017 01:27am

What am I missing here?

I thought the (NFHS) interp says contact with the ball is auto T.
Contact with thrower is auto Intentional Personal Foul.

And that the even absent contact, "Breaking the plane is a DOG warning" ?

So, if thrower has released the ball but it is still OOB, would this not still be a violation/DOG warning? (similar to NCAA).

AremRed Tue Jan 31, 2017 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 998955)
What am I missing here?

I thought the (NFHS) interp says contact with the ball is auto T.
Contact with thrower is auto Intentional Personal Foul.

And that the even absent contact, "Breaking the plane is a DOG warning" ?

So, if thrower has released the ball but it is still OOB, would this not still be a violation/DOG warning? (similar to NCAA).

Contact with the ball while in the thrower's hands on the OOB side of the plane is an auto T.

Once the thrower releases the ball, the defender is allowed to break the OOB plane (NFHS). It is not a T to touch the ball after it has been released by the thrower, unless the thrower is passing the ball OOB to a teammate after a made basket.

OKREF Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54am

Quote:

I'm assuming by player A you mean an opponent of the team throwing the ball in?

deecee Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18pm

Yup, I kicked this one earlier this year.