The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

What are the most common technical fouls?

There are many officials here, both inexperienced and experienced. Most have dealt with a technical foul of some sort, whether being the calling official or a partner. I was curious as to what scenarios occurred the most that resulted in a technical foul.

So, what situations in your career have you seen the most that resulted in a technical foul? Please list up to 5 with 1 being the most common, 2 the next common, 3, etc. Maybe there is a better way for me to ask but I am tired/exhausted (note time).

I can start although T's are rare in my world.

1. Player complaining/swearing/yelling at official
2. Coach complaining/yelling at official
3. Player taunting
4. Wrong number in book
5. Player hanging on rim

Last edited by bucky; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 03:47am. Reason: Corrections
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 04:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Player throwing the ball against the wall or slamming it to the floor with such force that it bounces ~ 20 feet in the air.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

I would say my most common technical foul is unsportsmanlike Behavior by coach. When they either disrespectfully question me or disrespect me, like yelling at me. I've given I believe about three technical fouls this year. And I've refereed about 50 games so far.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I would say my most common technical foul is unsportsmanlike Behavior by coach. When they either disrespectfully question me or disrespect me, like yelling at me. I've given I believe about three technical fouls this year. And I've refereed about 50 games so far.

So would you say a 6% rate of technical fouls is high or low? That seems high to me. I might have 1 or 2 games all year where a T or multiple T's gets handed out but could go weeks or monthes without a game that had one.

We don't have to give out many and if we do its generally to the regular suspects in league play when it comes to my primary assignor. I officiate in two different leagues now and the new one I'm in definitely has some guys who give out more than I am used to. Though I feel like most of them are much older guys on the way out vs my other league that has has more younger middle aged officials some of whom are top guys that do college, univeristy and semi pro games too. Unless you've got a real head case for a player or coach in your game. If you do a consistent job and act professionally I find you don't have any problems. People may not like your calls but if they know how its going to be and you treat them professionally we normally get by. Obviously if an official is unprofessional or struggling then they are going to be exposed to much more criticism and hostility which would obivously lead to more T's

Basically the following scenarios are the only automatics we tend to have to deal with:

- If a player curses.
- If a coach continues to complain or badger officials after being warned or intstructed a particular conversation or stream of conversation was to end.
- Coaches/players who literally and directly question officials integrity specifically ie. The word "cheating, cheater, homer, etc."

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Most common reason is kid acting like a knuclehead followed closely by coach acting like a knuclehead. I find that T's go in bunches. It's rare that a game will only have 1, and I can go weeks without any. This year it's been a bit high for me as I already have about 8 through about 20 games. 6 Games left.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Two head coaches in 34 games. Pretty typical year.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

It is between unsporting behavior for either coaches or players. This week I had a T for an assistant and a couple of Ts on players after going almost the entire year with only one T previously (chin up on the rim after dunk).

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

In my experience, there are enormous difference between school ball and rec leagues; in the latter, there are differences between intramural and travel programs. In the travel league I work, coaches are the major problem; kids, not so much.

And the primary issue I see is persistent questioning/chirping--coaches who ignore the "that's enough" warning.

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 03:34pm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Pregame Dunk

I have had more problems with pregame dunks and pregame disrespect (stomping on mascot at opponents center court or running around the opponent during pregame warmups). Usually I can tell a coach to behave and that does the trick unless he really wants a T.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Actually, this is a pretty easy question. Here's my list:

1) coach says anything to me
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

#1 reason: player/coach is being an a$$hole.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deep In The Heart Of Texas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
... problems with pregame dunks ...
Why not just sound your whistle before you enter the visual confines of the court, like they do in the Lone Star State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
pregame disrespect (stomping on mascot at opponents center court or running around the opponent during pregame warmups).
Immediate technical foul, or are teams warned in some manner? We just move the players off the center circle.

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors:
A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog or warm-up on their own half of the court. Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench. If during the pregame or half-time warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team should not use the entire court; teams should only warm-up on their half of the court. Only authorized personnel should be permitted on the floor. All spectators should be in designated areas
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 05:56pm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Knuckleheads ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Most common reason is kid acting like a knucklehead followed closely by coach acting like a knucklehead.
Agree, and agree. Possibly add delay of game after a warning.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I would say my most common technical foul is unsportsmanlike Behavior by coach. When they either disrespectfully question me or disrespect me, like yelling at me.

^^^^^ This.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2017, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

The top three are clear for me. The next two would require some thought.
1. Unsporting behavior by a player.
2. Unsporting behavior by a coach or asst coach.
3. Dead ball contact by a player.

4 & 5 are between admin techs, grasping the ring, 2nd delay warning, and immediate delay of game.