The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When L and T cross for reporting a foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102152-when-l-t-cross-reporting-foul.html)

Amesman Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:34pm

When L and T cross for reporting a foul

We've been going back and forth on this: When L calls a foul in the front court and they have to pass each other when L goes to the table to report, should one always go inside (or outside) the other?

Prevailing (slightly) sentiment seems to be the new L should take the inside route in order to keep better eye on players in the paint. Some say it doesn't matter a hoot.

Rich Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 998198)
We've been going back and forth on this: When L calls a foul in the front court and they have to pass each other when L goes to the table to report, should one always go inside (or outside) the other?

Prevailing (slightly) sentiment seems to be the new L should take the inside route in order to keep better eye on players in the paint. Some say it doesn't matter a hoot.

I haven't put a second of thought into this, to be honest.

SNIPERBBB Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:58pm

Just dont run into each other.

just another ref Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:13pm

If there is a wrong way to do this, and this is the worst mistake you make, you should be all right in the end.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:37pm

This may well be the dumbest question I've ever seen asked on this board.

That's just my opinion.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:40pm

I think the lead should take the path that allows him/her to grab a drink a the water fountain while the trail takes the path to the stack of towels to wipe off his/her head/face. The C is left to suffer with watching the players.

crosscountry55 Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998216)
I think the lead should take the path that allows him/her to grab a drink a the water fountain while the trail takes the path to the stack of towels to wipe off his/her head/face. The C is left to suffer with watching the players.

This comment is ripe for an alternative opinion by Mark Padgett.

Overall, I would file the OP in the "splitting hairs" category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2017 03:28pm

That's a level of over-thinking I don't want to even entertain.

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2017 03:49pm

Way over thinking on this one. Who is on the outside or inside, unless you are talking about other things. ;)

Peace

Rich Mon Jan 23, 2017 03:54pm

Actually we lock arms and swing. If we're feeling especially saucy, we'll allemande left.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 23, 2017 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998225)
Actually we lock arms and swing. If we're feeling especially saucy, we'll allemande left.

That's because you use FED mechanics.

Here, we give the "swing-through" high-five, with the follow-through pat on the backside.

rockyroad Mon Jan 23, 2017 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 998228)

Here, we give the "swing-through" high-five, with the follow-through pat on the backside.

Hum...must be a state by state thing.

Here, we do the whole introduction hand-shake thing. Just like the starters do with that one kid that never gets to play.

Rich Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:08pm

Quote:

I was holding up my partner on a sub this season (I was the tableside trail) and the replaced player high-fived me on the way off the court.

(I know someone here who would whack the player and give an indirect to the head coach.)

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:20pm

Quote:

No - if the lead and trail do as you state, the C checks out all the hot moms. I'm sure that is in the referee manual.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:27pm

Quote:

Texas believes in a firm and hearty whistle from the non-calling official while the other official is reporting so that nobody attempts to dunk a dead ball.

frezer11 Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 998229)
Hum...must be a state by state thing.

Here, we do the whole introduction hand-shake thing. Just like the starters do with that one kid that never gets to play.

Ha, thereby proving everyone on the team has a role!

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:54pm

Billy Mac Being Billy Mac ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 998214)
This may well be the dumbest question I've ever seen asked on this board.

Oh c'mon, I've asked much dumber questions.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 998241)

Are you expecting anyone to disagree? ;)

grunewar Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:15am

Quote:

I think the lead should take the path that allows him/her to grab a drink a the water fountain while the trail takes the path to the stack of towels to wipe off his/her head/face.

Water fountains and towels court side? Man, you work in much different and nicer gyms than we do! ;)

grunewar Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:16am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998270)

Not without pictures!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29pm

Quote:

Camron:

I agree with your evaluation of the situation 100%.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998270)

It is the dumber answers that I am worried about! :p

MTD, Sr.

SD Referee Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 998198)

Doesn't matter at all.

packersowner Tue Jan 24, 2017 02:27pm

All joking aside, in two man I prefer a opposite side L goes around the players instead of through the lane. This allows the table side T to come towards the lane and hopefully keeps all 10 players between us. IAABO has a pretty good picture of this in their official manual. I also find that if you go inside, you're more likely to report outside the normal reporting area. Not a big deal to most, but something I have recently seen published about following the reporting area guidelines.

In three man, is probably less important because you still have 2 sets of eyes on the players especially when the L is opposite the table. In this case your T more than likely has a good view of the court, while the C is moving into position.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 24, 2017 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998360)
All joking aside, in two man I prefer a opposite side L goes around the players instead of through the lane.

I thought that was the proper way to do things all the time, 2-person or 3-person. Cutting through the lane is not considered a valid path to take here.

BillyMac Tue Jan 24, 2017 06:04pm

Go Around The Players ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998370)
Cutting through the lane is not considered a valid path to take here.

Nor here either.

JeffM Tue Jan 24, 2017 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998231)
I was holding up my partner on a sub this season (I was the tableside trail) and the replaced player high-fived me on the way off the court.

(I know someone here who would whack the player and give an indirect to the head coach.)

I was doing a Special Olympics game and had an open palm out showing the out of bounds player where to stand. The player reached out and held my hand until all the subs were in and we were ready to play.

packersowner Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 998433)
I was doing a Special Olympics game and had an open palm out showing the out of bounds player where to stand. The player reached out and held my hand until all the subs were in and we were ready to play.

Thats why you should use a closed fist and point with a single finger - :D

Actually, I find this heartwarming and you probably should have given this kid a hug afterwards. Working SO games are the best!

OKREF Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998231)

I called a travel on a kid once, on the end line, on his bench end of the court. His head coach makes a bee line for me and I have my hand up to chop the clock, he gives me a high five and tells me good call.

BigCat Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 998495)

Actually, I find this heartwarming and you probably should have given this kid a hug afterwards. Working SO games are the best!

Puts things in perspective pretty quick. I think Mr. xynrph should go to a few of these.

Welpe Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 998508)
Puts things in perspective pretty quick. I think Mr. xynrph should go to a few of these.

Yep. I have never smiled so much working a game before.