The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

ASICS Shoes?

I attended a college game yesterday where 2 of the 3 officials were wearing all-black ASICS shoes. I need a new pair of shoes, and love ASICS, so would like to try them. But, I wasn't able to find them online anywhere. Does anyone know where I could find them?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rday22 View Post
I attended a college game yesterday where 2 of the 3 officials were wearing all-black ASICS shoes. I need a new pair of shoes, and love ASICS, so would like to try them. But, I wasn't able to find them online anywhere. Does anyone know where I could find them?
Finish line, asics site. Gel kayano 23 not bad shoe. Gel cumulus 18 good but you need to paint them. U might find some quantum 360s.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

GT-1000-5 is on Amazon. All black. I think mine were $89. Probably my favorite shoes I've worn. The Reebok Zigs are the only other ones that come close. I'll get another pair before next year and rotate them.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I'm not going to be much help, but I got my Asics online and paid around $80 for them before this season. They've been good shoes so far, they are wider than your average shoe, which I like, but not quite as light as I had hoped. I do like them better than my zigs though.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I got a pair of Asics Kayano Gel shoes for running last summer, as I needed a more supportive shoe with flat feet and moderate/severe overpronation. They were great - I just hate running! So I tried them out for basketball and they were WONDERFUL. My feet don't hurt too much anymore and my ankles/knees are much less sore. I retired my Zigs for them, in fact.

They're not entirely black, as they have a dark grey/silver outline on the stripes. But close enough for me. One varsity official this year said I should get all black shoes, but I'd rather have no pain any day.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Glad you are pain-free in your nice ref shoes!---but have you thought about just coloring that grey stripe with a black sharpie?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Glad you are pain-free in your nice ref shoes!---but have you thought about just coloring that grey stripe with a black sharpie?
Not really I kind of like them. They're not too obtrusive, and starting this year, our shoe regs went from 'all-black' to 'predominantly black'.

Here they are:

Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 08:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

You should try these. They work really well - and they're totally black. Plus - some of the hot moms will come over to you to ask where they can get a pair.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rday22 View Post
I went directly to the Asics website. GT-1000 is the model number. I get the same ones every year. They are very comfortable and they haven't let me down yet. Durable as well. I get new ones every year because I put a lot of miles on them. You can find them on Amazon for $90. $100 at asics website.

The Gel Kayano is very nice too. About $150. They have a design that is a little more wild with a tiny bit of wit and grey mixed in. I have seen both worn at the high school level.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
GT-1000-5 is on Amazon. All black. I think mine were $89. Probably my favorite shoes I've worn. The Reebok Zigs are the only other ones that come close. I'll get another pair before next year and rotate them.
The GT-1000 is the best shoe I've worn for reffing. Get them every year. I have way too many used black shoes in my closet................
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Not really I kind of like them. They're not too obtrusive, and starting this year, our shoe regs went from 'all-black' to 'predominantly black'.

Here they are:

*Nice ref shoes--you are styling! Pair up those cool shoes with a belted plain-front pant, a chunky cotton lanyard bearing a pea whistle, and a collared ref shirt--and you'll be on the cover of Referee Magazine "fashion" edition my brotha!

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 12:58pm.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

There are now several different models of Asics in the black white or gray. The GT1000 is one that has been made in black for years. However, that is a stability shoe and if you don't need a stability shoe, it COULD wreck havoc on your knees. I need a cushioning shoe and am a neutral runner, so I wear the Asics Nimbus. They have also made a Black/Grey shoe in the last few years and I've worn it on turf in football. I think the Cumulus, similar to the Nimbus but with less cushioning, is another one.

Finding black running shoes has been hell, but they're out there. Please don't assume that just because Asics has an all black GT1000 that it will work for you. It may, but it may not. You need to know your foot pronation factor -- supinator, neutral, then the moderate to several over-pronator. Insoles can help some things but they can't make a stability shoe have the cushioning a neutral or supinator (like me) needs.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*Nice ref shoes--you are styling! Pair up those cool shoes with a belted plain-front pant, a chunky cotton lanyard bearing a pea whistle, and a collared ref shirt--and you'll be on the cover of Referee Magazine "fashion" edition my brotha!
meh...they're predominantly black, the grey isn't very obtrusive or shiny, and my feet and ankles don't hurt anymore. That's all that matters.