The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Indirect T Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102087-indirect-t-question.html)

krampuppy Wed Jan 11, 2017 01:28pm

Indirect T Question

Was at a high school JV game last night .... At the end of a blow out (35 point) game the coach of the winning team inserted a player into the game who was not in the score book. A technical foul was called and play resumed.

A few minutes later the same coach wanted to insert another player that was also not in the book. (Evidently he had some freshman he wanted to put in to make it more competitive) However, he was told by the referee that he would receive his second technical and be tossed from the game if he did so.

I was under the impression that these are 'indirect' technicals and he would have not been thrown from the game. Evidently I was wrong, or was I?

SNIPERBBB Wed Jan 11, 2017 01:33pm

These are administrative T's so there shouldn't of been anything charged to the coach.

krampuppy Wed Jan 11, 2017 01:40pm

Okay. Didn't know how that worked. Too bad for that kid who didn't get in the game.

Valley Man Wed Jan 11, 2017 01:49pm

And we have had a round in our association about this one.

There is not another penalty for adding more players. The administrative technical penalty for this has already be assessed.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 11, 2017 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampuppy (Post 997086)
Was at a high school JV game last night .... At the end of a blow out (35 point) game the coach of the winning team inserted a player into the game who was not in the score book. A technical foul was called and play resumed.

A few minutes later the same coach wanted to insert another player that was also not in the book. (Evidently he had some freshman he wanted to put in to make it more competitive) However, he was told by the referee that he would receive his second technical and be tossed from the game if he did so.

I was under the impression that these are 'indirect' technicals and he would have not been thrown from the game. Evidently I was wrong, or was I?

You were wrong. And, so was your partner.

Let the second player in with no additional penalty.

krampuppy Wed Jan 11, 2017 02:44pm

For the record, I am not an official. I do coach though. But I was wrong.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampuppy (Post 997098)
For the record, I am not an official. I do coach though. But I was wrong.

Not as wrong as the officials on that game.

Simply team technical fouls, not on the coach.
Also, once the first one was called, the 2nd player an go in without penalty.

This would be quickly discovered in my state, as all technical fouls on players and coaches are reported to the state. I can just imagine the response I'd get for that report.

krampuppy Wed Jan 11, 2017 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 997106)
Not as wrong as the officials on that game.

Simply team technical fouls, not on the coach.
Also, once the first one was called, the 2nd player an go in without penalty.

This would be quickly discovered in my state, as all technical fouls on players and coaches are reported to the state. I can just imagine the response I'd get for that report.

Thanks for the explanation. So the 2nd player can go in without penalty even though he didn't check in at the same time as the first violation. Just want to make sure in case I'm ever in this predicament as a coach.

I talked with the coach afterwards, he said that he didn't put all of his freshman in the book (they had played a game before the JV game) because he didn't think they would need to play. But when the game got lopsided, he wanted to keep the game competitive. The last kid he wanted to get in the game was kind of the 'Rudy' of the team, and didn't get in the game. Coach was told by the ref that he would be tossed from the game if he put him in. Coach said he didn't want to have go through all the state protocol (taking a course on modeling behavior) to be reinstated after being thrown from the game or he would have put him in the game.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampuppy (Post 997108)
Thanks for the explanation. So the 2nd player can go in without penalty even though he didn't check in at the same time as the first violation. Just want to make sure in case I'm ever in this predicament as a coach.

I talked with the coach afterwards, he said that he didn't put all of his freshman in the book (they had played a game before the JV game) because he didn't think they would need to play. But when the game got lopsided, he wanted to keep the game competitive. The last kid he wanted to get in the game was kind of the 'Rudy' of the team, and didn't get in the game. Coach was told by the ref that he would be tossed from the game if he put him in. Coach said he didn't want to have go through all the state protocol (taking a course on modeling behavior) to be reinstated after being thrown from the game or he would have put him in the game.

Once the technical has been called for making changes to the book, the coach can make further changes without penalty. It's a single technical foul for all the changes.

That doesn't mean that knowing this will help you in the future. If an official doesn't already know it, he's highly unlikely to believe you. :)

SNIPERBBB Wed Jan 11, 2017 03:52pm

This is why I tell coaches to list their entire school on the roster if they have to. Its never a penalty to have more players listed than what you have on the bench...as long as you dont have a league rule that mandates participation minimums.

rickyss10 Wed Jan 11, 2017 04:42pm

Had this same exact situation in my game last night. Two players checked in not in the book. We gave the admin T. The coach pulled the kids. I informed him that those kids are now eligible to play since the T was assessed, he promptly put them back in the game.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyss10 (Post 997115)
Had this same exact situation in my game last night. Two players checked in not in the book. We gave the admin T. The coach pulled the kids. I informed him that those kids are now eligible to play since the T was assessed, he promptly put them back in the game.

Did you make him wait til the clock ran? :)

AremRed Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyss10 (Post 997115)

Did you inform him he doesn't need to get a T if they don't actually enter the game?

bob jenkins Thu Jan 12, 2017 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 997111)
This is why I tell coaches to list their entire school on the roster if they have to.

If I was a coach, I'd take the entire student body roster and staple it to the scoresheet as my roster.

rickyss10 Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03pm

They had already entered the game.