The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question for the real long timers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102085-question-real-long-timers.html)

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58am

Question for the real long timers

Has it ever been a violation in NFHS rules for a shooter to rebound his own airball?

billyu2 Wed Jan 11, 2017 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 997049)
Has it ever been a violation in NFHS rules for a shooter to rebound his own airball?

I played HS ball in the sixties and I don't recall there being a violation for that. I know I had my share of air-balls but then again, I wasn't quick enough to be the first to recover any of them.

justacoach Wed Jan 11, 2017 07:49pm

Not in my lifetime except for 9U rec league games officiated by Mendy Rudolph and Earl Strom:)

Mregor Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20pm

I remember as a player the ball had to hit the rim for the shooter to rebound without the ball hitting the floor. Could have been local rule though.

just another ref Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:46am

I was in high school in the mid to late 70's. I don't know what the rule was, but that was one of those things:

"EVERYBODY knows you can't do that."

Camron Rust Thu Jan 12, 2017 04:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 997141)
I remember as a player the ball had to hit the rim for the shooter to rebound without the ball hitting the floor. Could have been local rule though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 997154)
I was in high school in the mid to late 70's. I don't know what the rule was, but that was one of those things:

"EVERYBODY knows you can't do that."

Of course, while it may have been called like that in some areas and I've seen it called like that in games I've watched and by partners in games I've worked, it has never been the rule in NFHS. It is also not the rule in NCAA. It is, however, the rule in the NBA. And that is where the confusion comes from.

so cal lurker Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 997160)
Of course, while it may have been called like that in some areas and I've seen it called like that in games I've watched and by partners in games I've worked, it has never been the rule in NFHS. It is also not the rule in NCAA. It is, however, the rule in the NBA. And that is where the confusion comes from.

^^^^ Seen it called in middle school games recently just as I saw it called in middle school games back when I played. Refereeing by myth/watching TV rather than by rule . . . the NBA rule also seems to be the preferred pick up game rule, enhancing the "everybody knows" problem . . .

Adam Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36pm

I've had a partner call it from trail on a layup right in front of me in a JV girls game.

We had a quick chat, but I wouldn't say I overruled him.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 12, 2017 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 997216)
I've had a partner call it from trail on a layup right in front of me in a JV girls game.

I'm sure you provided him with the rules and let him judge what he wanted to do with the information you provided.

ronny mulkey Thu Jan 12, 2017 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 997049)

My 46th year and I can't remember it being a violation even though everybody at the gym thought so. I don't hear those fan protests near as much anymore on that particular play.

frezer11 Thu Jan 12, 2017 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 997216)

I'm always afraid of a similar thing occurring. If coach rightfully complains, what kind of justification can you use? From a coaches POV, I would think they might almost clammer for an inadvertent whistle and proper administration from there. Thoughts?

Adam Thu Jan 12, 2017 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 997261)
I'm always afraid of a similar thing occurring. If coach rightfully complains, what kind of justification can you use? From a coaches POV, I would think they might almost clammer for an inadvertent whistle and proper administration from there. Thoughts?

He asked for an explanation. Since it looked bad, I just told him we discussed it and realized it's not a violation. He accepted the explanation.

I took the heat and made the explanation since I was the one who stepped in it.