The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounding ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102075-inbounding.html)

loners4me Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:41am

Inbounding ?

After a made basket A1 secures ball on endline. A1 attempts to pass to A2 who is OOB on the other end of the endline.

B2 steals pass in under basket and immediately shoots.

A1 was left handed and it appeared like her arm was inbounds on the release but honestly thats a tough one to see.

Technical foul or score by team B?

SNIPERBBB Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03am

You have to make the determination whether the ball was across the plane,score basket, or inside the plane, T...or be utterly bad and rule it a DOG and hope there wasnt a previous delay.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 996849)
After a made basket A1 secures ball on endline. A1 attempts to pass to A2 who is OOB on the other end of the endline.

A1 was left handed and it appeared like her arm was inbounds on the release but honestly thats a tough one to see.

Technical foul.

packersowner Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 996849)

Seems like more information is needed here? Are you saying that A1 released the ball and it was in the air when it was stolen? If thats the case and you deemed that the ball was thrown in bounds or released in bounds, play on.

loners4me Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:33am

yes stolen midflight. Really tough to judge as your watching a moving ball over an imaginary plane

loners4me Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:37am

could you call DOG and say you called the violation when sherl reached across, killing the play and making the touching of the ball irrelevant?

zm1283 Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 996865)
could you call DOG and say you called the violation when sherl reached across, killing the play and making the touching of the ball irrelevant?

No. The rule specifically says that touching the ball when it is OOB during a throw-in is a technical.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 996875)
No. The rule specifically says that touching the ball when it is OOB during a throw-in is a technical.

Not if the ball was across the boundary....and that is the point of the question. The OP felt the ball may have been across the boundary. If so, this was a legal play.

BigCat Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 996865)

If the player reaches THROUGH the boundary and touches the ball while it is being held by the thrower in or is in the air on OOB side of end line to another player out of bounds after a goal it is a T. It also constitutes a warning should any other delay of game situation happen later in the game.

As Camron said, if ball is on inbounds side it is legal play.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2017 01:27pm

If you're not sure, I'd judge it to be on the legal side of the plane and explain it to the coach that way.