The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Chain Reaction Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102061-chain-reaction-foul.html)

Freddy Sun Jan 08, 2017 09:34pm

Chain Reaction Foul

Team A is in the bonus.
A1 is in the act of shooting.
B2 fouls A2, pushing him into A1 while airborne.
A1's attempt is unsuccessful.

Will B2's foul result in A2 shooting a 1 and 1, or A1 shooting 2?

johnny d Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00pm

A2 will shoot 1 and 1.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:11pm

B2 fouled A2... not A1. The fact that A2 fell into A1 during his field goal attempt is one of those "too bad" things.

BTW, even if A1's shot was successful, you still wouldn't count the basket as the foul by B2 on A2 made the ball dead. The only way you'd count the basket was if A1 released the try before the foul.

SC Official Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 996652)
BTW, even if A1's shot was successful, you still wouldn't count the basket as the foul by B2 on A2 made the ball dead. The only way you'd count the basket was if A1 released the try before the foul.

That's not the only way the basket would count.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 996655)
That's not the only way the basket would count.

Okay... go ahead

ODog Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 996663)
Okay... go ahead

Continuous motion applies to any foul by the defense. So A1 can continue his motion, release the ball and score, even if the foul committed on A2 precedes the release.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 996688)
Continuous motion applies to any foul by the defense. So A1 can continue his motion, release the ball and score, even if the foul committed on A2 precedes the release.

Okay, I've gotta go to bed. Between this thread and the other one about continuous motion my mind is jello. A5, B5, A1, A2... I'm lost. :confused:

ODog Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 996690)
Okay, I've gotta go to bed. Between this thread and the other one about continuous motion my mind is jello. A5, B5, A1, A2... I'm lost. :confused:

Think of it this way:
(Not saying this was the mindset of the players in OP, but just conceptually)

A1 is in the act of shooting, but B1 can't get to him to defend, so he just shoves A2 instead because that will "make the ball dead" and negate the shot. Would that make any sense or contain even a shred of fairness?

Of course not ... which is why continuous motion applies to ANY foul by the defense, regardless of whether the offended party happens to be the shooter.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25pm

Chain Reaction Foul

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 996652)

Sorry Bryan, but completely incorrect. Continuous motion applies when a foul is committed by the defense. Even if A1 had not released the try, if his habitual motion had started before the foul by B2…score the field goal. Then, in the OP case, A2 gets his bonus throw(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 996693)
Sorry Bryan, but completely incorrect. Continuous motion applies when a foul is committed by the defense. Even if A1 had not released the try, if his habitual motion had started before the foul by B2…score the field goal. Then, in the OP case, A2 gets his bonus throw(s).

Freddy Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 996646)
Team A is in the bonus.
A1 is in the act of shooting.
B2 fouls A2, pushing him into A1 while airborne.
A1's attempt is unsuccessful.

Will B2's foul result in A2 shooting a 1 and 1, or A1 shooting 2?

Is there some case play or interpretation or rule that I'm missing on this situation? I can't find anything.

Adam Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 996754)
Is there some case play or interpretation or rule that I'm missing on this situation? I can't find anything.

The rule that says the player who is fouled shoots the free throws? Are you looking for something more?