The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Most of these plays I'd rather speak about mechanics....

1. Correct official is making this call...too often the lead is making traveling calls in the post. This is the trail's bread and butter in this scenario. As a general teaching point I will say that the trail had no reason to back out like he did to above the 28....stay down and stay engaged in the play. One is more likely to call something on this play if he's not backing away from the play.

2. No teaching points...there's nothing to call on this play.

3. Good work by he lead official looking to find the widest players on his side...finding none and working inside. I think the trail may have bailed out instead of staying engaged and stepping down...this has been a mechanics POE for NCAA-M this year. As to the call...NCAA-M has a POE that wants physicality reduced with rebounding plays...meaning more rebounding fouls to be call not solely because of possession consequence but to clean up rough play...with the threshold for rough play being lowered.

4. High ball screen and roll...this is a two official play...something that has been officiated as such in the NBA for a while...and has been the mechanic for NCAA-M officials for at least 2 years. On this play, the on ball official (trail) has 1-2-3-4...meaning he has the dribbler (1), the on ball defender (2), the screener (3), and the defender of the screener (4). The second official has the reverse.... 4-3-2-1.

Strictly speaking I'd want the slot/center official getting this play...even depending on the lead's look I'd even even be okay with him getting this. But I will say it's a bit hard/difficult at times coming in as that slot officials that far out to call a foul there...lead too (assuming he had a look). I think the trail calls it correctly as an illegal screen...but it's not super obvious as the defender does hook his arm...action that would not be obvious to the trail but something that the slot/center could see.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.