The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Once more, the question of a legal guarding position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10198-once-more-question-legal-guarding-position.html)

Damian Thu Sep 25, 2003 01:13pm

I know we talked about this earlier. I just got me new rule book. The exact words indicate that the defender must have both feet touching the playing court to establish a legal guarding position. Originally, I thought that it would say that both feet must be completely in the playing court.

So, if I read this right, a defender has established a legal guarding position if one or both feet are on the out of bounds line providing that at least a part of each is in bounds.

How do you plan to call this?

Thanks,
dd

Mark Padgett Thu Sep 25, 2003 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
I just got me new rule book.
Are you in Ireland? ;)

Dan_ref Thu Sep 25, 2003 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

I just got me new rule book.
Are you in Ireland? ;)

Hmmm...I was wondering if he's a pirate....Arggghhhhh, I just got me new rule book matey.

Anywho...Damian, I don't think I see the difference between what it says & what you thought it says. What am I missing?

TriggerMN Thu Sep 25, 2003 02:39pm

According to the principle of verticality, the defender can also have legal guarding position with his feet OFF the floor. Maybe "establish" is the key word here though...

Camron Rust Thu Sep 25, 2003 05:26pm

Quote:

I know we talked about this earlier. I just got me new rule book. The exact words indicate that the defender must have both feet touching the playing court to establish a legal guarding position. Originally, I thought that it would say that both feet must be completely in the playing court.

So, if I read this right, a defender has established a legal guarding position if one or both feet are on the out of bounds line providing that at least a part of each is in bounds.

How do you plan to call this?

Thanks,
dd

I agree with your reading of this and think it it the most sensible interpretation if we are going to change the rule on LGP with regards to in-bounds/OOB.

However, the NF, in it's always consistent and quality rulewriting, has released a comment/interpretation that is contrary to what is actually written in the rule.

The interpretation says not only that the feet must be entirely inbounds but that it applys to maintaining position in addition to obtaining the LGP.

IMHO, this interpretation is just plain silly. LGP should not depending on absolute location. If a player gets plowed over in the chest, a change of position latarally of 1-2 inches is not what made it happen.

rainmaker Fri Sep 26, 2003 09:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Are you in Ireland? ;)

Hmmm...I was wondering if he's a pirate....Arggghhhhh, I just got me new rule book matey.

Dan, it's too late for that. Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day was September 19.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Are you in Ireland? ;)

Dan, it's too late for that. Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day was September 19.

Oh...sorry...btw, do ya happen to know when Walk-Like-An-Egyptian Day is?

rainmaker Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:05am

I can't remember hearing anything about it, but I'll ask my 13-year-old, who keeps up to date on these sorts of things. This kid is totally weird. I mean, he decided to change schools this year for 8th grade, because he wanted stiffer academics. Go figure!

Adam Sat Sep 27, 2003 01:10am

I hope you made him shoot 100 free throws for such behavior.

Damian Sun Sep 28, 2003 06:49pm

Follow up after a rules clinic

It seems that the spirit of the rule is that according to our regional rep, a legal player is in bounds. If a person is touching the out of bounds line, he is not a legal player and as such cannot establish a legal guarding position.

He kept quizzing me on what is the playing area. I told him I was fine with that, but the word "touching" is where I had a problem.

After much discussion, the interpretation is that they must be in bounds.

PGCougar Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:53am

Establish vs. Maintain LGP

Quote:

... If a person is touching the out of bounds line, he is not a legal player and as such cannot establish a legal guarding position.
Deja vu all over again... Once established, can a player lose his LGP if he were to slide with the ball-handler and unintentionally touch the OOB line in the process of defending? If so, advantage to ball-handler.