The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 man mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101956-2-man-mechanics.html)

yankeesfan Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16pm

2 man mechanics

Trail official is table side with lead opposite under the basket. Lead has a common foul on his side of the floor alone baseline. What is the proper mechanics on taking ball out of bounds? Is there a switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:51pm

Unless you follow some special mechanic (which is possible) you switch on all fouls except for the shooting fouls where the Trail is always the calling official. So the Lead would become the New Trail and the Trail would become the New Lead in your situation.

Peace

yankeesfan Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 994801)
Unless you follow some special mechanic (which is possible) you switch on all fouls except for the shooting fouls where the Trail is always the calling official. So the Lead would become the New Trail and the Trail would become the New Lead in your situation.

Peace

NFHS mechanics wants calling official to go opposite table side. It's a new change for this year.

yankeesfan Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:04pm

It might be an Ohio high school change not NFHS. I'm not sure.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13pm

The officials simply switch in NFHS two-man mechanics on non-shooting fouls.
Tableside is of no consequence.

yankeesfan Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:27pm

https://youtu.be/Kl94j1jCXC0

Rich Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994805)
https://youtu.be/Kl94j1jCXC0

This is great.....if you're in Ohio.

yankeesfan Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 994806)
This is great.....if you're in Ohio.

Hopefully there is someone from Ohio on here that can answer my question.

Rich Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994807)

I watched enough of the video to see that on a non-shooting foul the officials simply switch. Whether you're tableside or opposite....only matters on a shooting foul.

Ohio's moved back to the way we used to be years ago. There are advantages to both systems.....my state will tell me what to do and I'll simply do it.

JRutledge Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994802)
NFHS mechanics wants calling official to go opposite table side. It's a new change for this year.

No, you just switch. If you are table side it is only based on where the ball is put into play.

Peace

deecee Wed Dec 14, 2016 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994802)

I would just tell the players to take it out and go tableside. My partner doesn't have to move either.

SNIPERBBB Wed Dec 14, 2016 07:08am

The new ohio mechanic doesnt really change anything for 2-man other than the calling official going opposite on free throws. You are supposed to switch on everything else.

billyu2 Wed Dec 14, 2016 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994807)

Rich and JRutledge have it correct. If there are no FT's, the calling Lead official in your situation will end up tableside due to the throw in spot. If shooting FT's, the calling official will always go opposite.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 14, 2016 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 994799)
Trail official is table side with lead opposite under the basket. Lead has a common foul on his side of the floor alone baseline. What is the proper mechanics on taking ball out of bounds? Is there a switch?

You didn't say if the foul was on the offense or the defense. You have the answer for the defense.

If the foul was on the offense, you might switch, or some states have a "no long switch" philosophy and the calling official would report and go back to administer the throw-in.

JRutledge Wed Dec 14, 2016 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 994818)
Rich and JRutledge have it correct. If there are no FT's, the calling Lead official in your situation will end up tableside due to the throw in spot. If shooting FT's, the calling official will always go opposite.

That is if your state or jurisdiction does this. Our state has the calling official go table side on FT situations. But all of this is subject to your jurisdiction and what they may or may not follow from the NF.

Peace