The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Brain cramp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101941-brain-cramp.html)

BigCat Sun Dec 11, 2016 05:20pm

Brain cramp

A1 attempts dunk, ball goes sky high, assume no one around. Player hangs and does 3 pull-ups. Whistle T. Ball finally comes down....straight through basket. question is does a T on offense cause ball become dead even though try is in flight?

Nevadaref Sun Dec 11, 2016 05:47pm

No, but an offensive basket interference violation does. That could be applicable to your play.

BigCat Sun Dec 11, 2016 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 994634)
No, but an offensive basket interference violation does. That could be applicable to your play.

Yes, I went through that in my head. Rim wasn't vibrating, went back to position. It doesn't seem right, but my answer was it has to count. Just as if you, on my team, foul on a 3 i shoot and obviously make. It counts. Seems like a T on playervought to kill it all. Swinging elbows does...

Nevadaref Sun Dec 11, 2016 06:33pm

Note that swinging elbows is a violation. The rule is simply that violations make the ball dead, but fouls do not.
I agree with your determination that the try counts, if you deemed that offensive BI did not occur.

BigCat Sun Dec 11, 2016 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 994637)
Note that swinging elbows is a violation. The rule is simply that violations make the ball dead, but fouls do not.
I agree with your determination that the try counts, if you deemed that offensive BI did not occur.

Yes, it's just ads backwards that we will cancel a try in flight etc because of violation but a T has no effect. I thought through the question I was asked, I just don't like the answer. I would write and pass a rule that says a T by offense causes dead ball immediately.

Adam Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 994638)
Yes, it's just ads backwards that we will cancel a try in flight etc because of violation but a T has no effect. I thought through the question I was asked, I just don't like the answer. I would write and pass a rule that says a T by offense causes dead ball immediately.

The rule already says that. :)

There's just no "offense" (or "team control") during a try.

BigCat Mon Dec 12, 2016 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 994655)
The rule already says that. :)

There's just no "offense" (or "team control") during a try.

Yes, id have to change the exception for fouls occurring while try in flight. Technical fouls by Thrower for goal or teammate make ball dead. No exception. I will put you in charge of the wording changing the exception....:(

HokiePaul Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 994633)
A1 attempts dunk, ball goes sky high, assume no one around. Player hangs and does 3 pull-ups.

How many pull ups would you allow before considering the pull ups a separate act from hanging on the rim and issue a second technical. Hypothetically, is there a point where anyone would consider a flagrant T? Just curious, as hanging on the rim and then doing 3 pull ups seems above and beyond your routine T for hanging of the rim.