The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Michigan State @ Duke - Plays (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101900-michigan-state-duke-plays.html)

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2016 01:44pm

Michigan State @ Duke - Plays

Is this a travel? Got this play from another site.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9WAMtnkEOIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

APG Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:05pm

Yes, strictly speaking it's a travel:

A1 catches the ball in midair and lands left/right. Left foot is pivot. He then "pivots" with his right foot...and in doing so, picks up the left foot (pivot) and places it back down.

If one wants to say the catch and landing is close enough to simultaneous I think this is probably a split foot travel though not obvious.

If it was me doing a game at this level, if I'm going to call a travel it'd be for scenario one. Second part, I'd have nothing.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:10pm

Block-Charge right after the "travel play" I posted.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T_aU5v_x9Mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

SC Official Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:24pm

1) Travel

2) Easy PC (that even Bilas agreed with :eek:). Defender does everything right and nothing wrong.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 993941)

A1 catches the ball in midair and lands left/right. Left foot is pivot. He then "pivots" with his right foot...and in doing so, picks up the left foot (pivot) and places it back down.

If one wants to say the catch and landing is close enough to simultaneous I think this is probably a split foot travel though not obvious.

If it was me doing a game at this level, if I'm going to call a travel it'd be for scenario one. Second part, I'd have nothing.

Interesting. I agree with your analysis, but I'd be more likely to get it for the second reason than the first.

AremRed Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:40pm

Play 1: Travel, CNC at that level

Play 2: PC, whack on HC for wave-off

jpgc99 Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 993945)
Play 1: Travel, CNC at that level

Play 2: PC, whack on HC for wave-off

I'd be more likely to say,

Play 1: INC Travel

Play 2: CC player control; CNC for the wave-off at that level.

SC Official Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:33pm

I don't see that much of a wave off from Coach K. I doubt I'd whack for that in a high school game if I saw it. Especially if that's the first issue he's had all game.

SC Official Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 993963)
I'd be more likely to say,

Play 1: INC Travel

Play 2: CC player control; CNC for the wave-off at that level.

I don't understand why we use this phrase sometimes. The NCAA advocates for more calls than the NFHS does, not less, and that includes certain expectations for unsporting behaviors to be penalized.

Regardless, I don't think I'd give a 'T' for that in a high school game.

APG Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 993944)
Interesting. I agree with your analysis, but I'd be more likely to get it for the second reason than the first.

Looking real time of the clip, the second part would not have jumped out to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993966)
I don't understand why we use this phrase sometimes. The NCAA advocates for more calls than the NFHS does, not less, and that includes certain expectations for unsporting behaviors to be penalized.

Regardless, I don't think I'd give a 'T' for that in a high school game.

The NCAA does not assign these games.

SC Official Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 993967)
The NCAA does not assign these games.

I'm aware.

My point was that I often see behavior in a college game get penalized and see the same behavior not get penalized in high school games. The idea that there's a higher tolerance for certain behavior in a college game than a high school game is simply not true unilaterally.

deecee Thu Dec 01, 2016 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993969)
I'm aware.

My point was that I often see behavior in a college game get penalized and see the same behavior not get penalized in high school games. The idea that there's a higher tolerance for certain behavior in a college game than a high school game is simply not true unilaterally.

What you don't see is that by the time a T is given the behavior has added up and IS dealt with. In HS often times the behavior is NOT dealt with at all. Like was said earlier this wouldn't rise to a blip on my radar on the HS level either.

With super slow mo ya its a travel. I'm ok with no call there. The expectations for travel as the D1 level is that they better be obvious. I'd rather miss one than get one that isn't there. Good PC call.

BigCat Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 993944)

I agree. Left foot does hit first but it's close. If I would have called anything it would have been the second travel.APG is right. He traveled right away but I think the second was more noticeable

AremRed Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993969)

Not sure to which "behavior" or "higher tolerance" you are referring but it is absolutely true that there are different expectations between high school and college.

Raymond Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 993941)

I have a travel for the split foot (rather obvious to me).