The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   North Carolina @ Indiana (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101899-north-carolina-indiana.html)

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:43pm

North Carolina @ Indiana

Was this a foul or violation?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/log_A1OK6A0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lane Violation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_lncGJGlWC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:23am

Backcourt violation appeared to occur before contact, but hard to say from that angle.

FT violation was pretty obvious, not much to discuss there.

AremRed Thu Dec 01, 2016 03:33am

Play 1: BC violation before foul, new Lead needs to help with this

Play 2: CC delayed lane violation

ballgame99 Thu Dec 01, 2016 05:19pm

on the potential BC violation, if he is in the air when he catches the ball doesn't he get to land where he wants? Its hard to see from this angle, but let's say he leaves the floor with both feet (from the FC) and catches the ball while airborne and lands strattled on the line, isn't he considered to still be in BC status?

SNIPERBBB Thu Dec 01, 2016 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 993972)
on the potential BC violation, if he is in the air when he catches the ball doesn't he get to land where he wants? Its hard to see from this angle, but let's say he leaves the floor with both feet (from the FC) and catches the ball while airborne and lands strattled on the line, isn't he considered to still be in BC status?

You are where you were till you get where you're going. Player is in front court until he lands.

To be legal on that play, he would of needed to get one foot down in the BC before he caught the ball.

SC Official Thu Dec 01, 2016 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 993972)

The "exception" that allows an airborne player to catch the ball and make a normal landing (NFHS 9-9-3/NCAA 9-12-9,10) applies only during a throw-in, jump ball, or while on defense.

Remington Thu Dec 01, 2016 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 993977)
You are where you were till you get where you're going. Player is in front court until he lands.

To be legal on that play, he would of needed to get one foot down in the BC before he caught the ball.

And, in case some aren't sure, if you are touching the half line, you are considered to be in the backcourt.......similar to stepping on the sideline or endline to be out of bounds.

IUgrad92 Thu Dec 01, 2016 06:05pm

Why was Center official so low on back court press coverage? There were two officials officiating ball and defender (2 players). Not surprised this happened with Center's positioning on this particular play.

SNIPERBBB Thu Dec 01, 2016 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 993983)
Why was Center official so low on back court press coverage? There were two officials officiating ball and defender (2 players). Not surprised this happened with Center's positioning on this particular play.

That and he was taken out by the ball handler after making the pass.

ODog Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42pm

Quote:

Since we're talking mechanics/positioning, I'm not familiar with the nitty gritty of NCAA-M mechanics. On the second play, I didn't see anyone signal a delayed violation?

Raymond Fri Dec 02, 2016 06:52am

Quote:

I see no reason why the slot came down so far. I would only do so if there were a trap down there. The trail was in a position to see the play by himself. As slot, I would have been up with the second group of players.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

APG Fri Dec 02, 2016 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 994014)
I see no reason why the slot came down so far. I would only do so if there were a trap down there. The trail was in a position to see the play by himself. As slot, I would have been up with the second group of players.

I can see why he initially dropped down...but once it's evident that the matchup will be a 1 on 1 match up...and the rest of the players are going upcourt, I would have liked for the slot to work upcourt.

Raymond Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 994015)
I can see why he initially dropped down...but once it's evident that the matchup will be a 1 on 1 match up...and the rest of the players are going upcourt, I would have liked for the slot to work upcourt.

I don't see why he dropped down. It was a one-on-one match up. He had a group of 4 other players in the back court who needed attention.

deecee Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 994005)
Since we're talking mechanics/positioning, I'm not familiar with the nitty gritty of NCAA-M mechanics. On the second play, I didn't see anyone signal a delayed violation?

Because once you make that signal you are obligate to make the call. It has it's time and place.

Raymond Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 994005)

The person who should have displayed that signal did not, so another official made the call.