The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Unsportsmanlike conduct isn't the only reason I'd stick a player as bench personnel. If he comes off the bench and "hot swaps" as play is live, I think there's an argument to make for making it an indirect to the HC also.

The penalty under 10-3 says that it is penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live. That tells me that fouls under 10-3 are intended to be applied only during dead ball situations when the substitute does not follow proper procedure.
I see what you are saying. I havnt read it that way. not saying your wrong just i havnt read it that way.

And i don't know what "hot swaps" means but it sounds unsportsmanlike to me...
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

If I saw the coach distracting illegal picking the referee while this hot swap happened I agree with more of a bench T. If I saw the player just jump out and try to sub I would call a sub T. Having the coach get an indirect being the only difference isnt this massive problem and I think it could be sold easily.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 01:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sorry computer term slipped in there. What I mean by hot swap is one player comes on, one comes off while the ball is still live.

That's just the way I read it. Like many parts of the NFHS rules, it's somewhat vague so I see your side of it too.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Way to over-complicate a very straightforward (and rare) basketball occurrence. You either "know" committed the specific infraction, or you don't. That should help determine what you do.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry computer term slipped in there. What I mean by hot swap is one player comes on, one comes off while the ball is still live.

That's just the way I read it. Like many parts of the NFHS rules, it's somewhat vague so I see your side of it too.
I have always thought my options for a player running on the floor during live ball to be unsportsmanlike bench T, or if it is do to screwup, no ill intent, substitute T. If there are 6 on floor and i don't know how it happened and get no help, team tech.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The penalty under 10-3 says that it is penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live. That tells me that fouls under 10-3 are intended to be applied only during dead ball situations when the substitute does not follow proper procedure.
Welpe, finally had time to get into case book at length. Take a look at 10.3.2. Substitute tech plays. A6 runs onto court during live ball and while clock runnning. Sub tech if it is discovered before ball becomes live following first dead ball. Thx
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

OK I can buy that. Perhaps the line of whether it should be a foul against bench personnel does depend upon if he's doing something unsporting or not.