The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Michigan State/Duke Prone Player Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101893-michigan-state-duke-prone-player-foul.html)

SC Official Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:09pm

Michigan State/Duke Prone Player Foul

We had a discussion about this recently and I think it just happened around the 9:30 mark in the second half. Bridges fell to the floor and was called for a foul when he was tripped over.

Bilas didn't understand it of course. Was also criticizing the crew for talking to the players and claimed that they should just call the fouls and there would be no need to talk to the players. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2016 08:06am

When I get home I will try to post this play.

Secondly, when a player is on the floor they are not in LGP in college. The prone player is responsible for contact if a player falls over them in that case. I might have to look up A.R situations to confirm, but the first part is how the rule is adjudicated.

Peace

dahoopref Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 993820)
Secondly, when a player is on the floor they are not in LGP in college. The prone player is responsible for contact if a player falls over them in that case. I might have to look up A.R situations to confirm, but the first part is how the rule is adjudicated.

Peace

2016-17 NCAA Mens Casebook, Pg. 29

Quote:

A.R. 86. B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (with his back to B1,
who is prone) receives a pass, turns and, in his attempt to drive to the basket,
trips and falls over B1.

RULING: Foul on B1, who is not in a legal guarding position.
(Rule 4-17.4.a)

RefsNCoaches Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03am

Is there an NFHS rule concerning this?

Jay R Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04am

Just watched the game. It wasn't the classic: player falls to the floor and trips up dribbler. It was a rebounder who tripped over him as another rebounder was controlling the ball. I thought a no call might have been better here because it didn't seem that the trip had an impact on the play.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 30, 2016 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 993834)
Is there an NFHS rule concerning this?

Yes, there's a rule or interp. Find the previous thread on this topic

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2016 05:04pm

Here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-1KESGhlwUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

dahoopref Wed Nov 30, 2016 05:20pm

A1 is rebounding a missed shot, is airborne, and does not have possession of the ball:

2016-17 NCAA Mens Rulebook, Pg. 49

Quote:

Rule 4, Sec. 17 Art. 5.

To establish legal guarding position on a player without the ball:
a. Time and distance shall be required to establish an initial legal
guarding position;
b. The guard shall give the opponent the time and distance to avoid contact;
c. The distance given by the opponent of the player without the ball need
not be more than two strides; and
d. When the opponent is airborne, the guard shall have established legal
guarding position before the opponent left the playing court.
My verdict: Foul :)

Welpe Wed Nov 30, 2016 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 993835)
I thought a no call might have been better here because it didn't seem that the trip had an impact on the play.

You mean other than making it so that the Duke player had no chance at contesting the rebound?

I think I'd have a foul in a Fed game here, too. The player on the floor is still moving around when the rebounder trips over him.

Dale3 Wed Nov 30, 2016 06:22pm

I like the foul call. If this happened away from the ball I would let it slide as incidental contact, but the fact of the matter is that the Duke player is attempting to grab a rebound and is knocked to the floor by MSU player who is NOT in legal guarding position = foul.

Raymond Thu Dec 01, 2016 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 993835)
Just watched the game. It wasn't the classic: player falls to the floor and trips up dribbler. It was a rebounder who tripped over him as another rebounder was controlling the ball. I thought a no call might have been better here because it didn't seem that the trip had an impact on the play.

It affects the play as A1 is no longer in position to play defense.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Thu Dec 01, 2016 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 993820)
When The prone player is responsible for contact

I will point out that the MSU player was not prone.

it was correctly called a foul, however.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2016 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 993889)

I think I'd have a foul in a Fed game here, too. The player on the floor is still moving around when the rebounder trips over him.

Agree. That player wasn't just lying prone on the floor. He was moving and his legs were stuck up/out. I'll call a block even in HS on this one.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2016 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 993921)
I will point out that the MSU player was not prone.

it was correctly called a foul, however.

Well I guess in the technical sense you are right.

Peace

Adam Thu Dec 01, 2016 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 993889)
You mean other than making it so that the Duke player had no chance at contesting the rebound?

Still moving around and his knees are up in the air. I'd call this in fed.