The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wisconsin/Syracuse video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101892-wisconsin-syracuse-video-request.html)

zm1283 Tue Nov 29, 2016 09:05pm

Wisconsin/Syracuse video request

7:09 2nd half. Potential basket interference on a put back dunk attempt for Wisconsin. Also a possible foul on the same play. Thanks.

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2016 04:42pm

Here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5LcFJSXgh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

zm1283 Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32pm

Thanks. I don't have BI on the initial try when he catches the rebound and tries to dunk it. I think it is BI when he keeps grasping the ring and the ball re-enters the cylinder. I don't think this is a play you will see in high school very often, but still interesting to discuss.

dahoopref Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36pm

Great play to discuss. Thanks JRut for posting this:

2016-17 NCAA Mens Rulebook, Pg. 87
Quote:

Rule 9, Section 15. Basket Interference and Goaltending
Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.
Art. 2. Basket interference
a. Basket interference occurs when a player:
1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or
within the basket;
2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has
the ring as its lower base;
3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before
it enters the cylinder; or
4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring
returns to its original position.

5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or
within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.
b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its
base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.
c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of
the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.
d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this
contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during
such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.
After reviewing the play at least 5 times (with the benefit of slow-motion), I observed it was the ball was not contacting the basket when W-10 pulled it down. However it appeared the rim did not return to "its original position" before it contacted the ball.

The play happened so fast that I'm good with NCC. As my supervisor has stated, "If I have to view the video more than 2-times to judge a quick play/decision, I'm good with the on-floor ruling from the crew."

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 993905)
However it appeared the rim did not return to "its original position" before it contacted the ball.

I don't think the ball contacted the rim at all. I think it went directly in the net. So the rule about the rim returning to position isn't applicable.

justacoach Thu Dec 01, 2016 02:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by camron rust (Post 993913)
i don't think the ball contacted the rim at all. I think it went directly in the net. So the rule about the rim returning to position isn't applicable.

+1

zm1283 Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993913)
I don't think the ball contacted the rim at all. I think it went directly in the net. So the rule about the rim returning to position isn't applicable.

I checked the FED rule and it's the same. For some reason I kept thinking the ball didn't have to touch the ring for it to be BI. Good no call. This was a weird play. I had to rewind it several times to figure out what exactly happened.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2016 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 993932)
I checked the FED rule and it's the same. For some reason I kept thinking the ball didn't have to touch the ring for it to be BI. Good no call. This was a weird play. I had to rewind it several times to figure out what exactly happened.

The principle behind that requirement is that if the ball doesn't hit the rim, the rim will not affect the shot.

However, that isn't entirely true since an out of place rim might allow a ball to miss the rim when it would have otherwise hit. In such cases, I think that the result would be unlikely to be affected most of the time so it is not important.