The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disqualified Player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101868-disqualified-player.html)

Bob Bball Wed Nov 23, 2016 03:59pm

Disqualified Player

We work with a large recreational basketball league. Adult Men's and Women's division's from highly skilled and competitive to low level of play.
12 men's division's and 6 women's 138 teams in total

This league uses FIBA rules.

We are hoping to work something out with this league to help when a player is disqualified and needs to leave.

There have been several instances of players being disqualified, taking there time in gathering their belongings; delaying the game beyond a reasonable amount of time and also continuing unacceptable behaviour either doing or saying things that are not good for the game.

There are very few coaches in this league and it has also been an issue in getting teams to help in getting the players to leave.

Do the leagues your association works and /or your board have a"procedure" to see that the player leaves quickly and keep instances of continued unacceptable behaviour is minimised?

SC Official Wed Nov 23, 2016 04:13pm

Under NFHS rules, disqualified players (and non-adult bench personnel) do not leave the playing enclosure, so it's a non-issue.

For coaches (or other adults), it's really simple. The ejected individual will leave in a timely manner (out of sight and sound), or we get game management/security involved. If the individual doesn't leave immediately, that goes in my report to the state. If for some reason game management fails to do its job, we suspend the game and let the state decide what to do.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Nov 23, 2016 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993513)
Under NFHS rules, disqualified players (and non-adult bench personnel) do not leave the playing enclosure, so it's a non-issue.

For coaches (or other adults), it's really simple. The ejected individual will leave in a timely manner (out of sight and sound), or we get game management/security involved. If the individual doesn't leave immediately, that goes in my report to the state. If for some reason game management fails to do its job, we suspend the game and let the state decide what to do.

Allow me to remind you of the league he is talking about here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 993510)
We work with a large recreational basketball league. Adult Men's and Women's division's from highly skilled and competitive to low level of play.
12 men's division's and 6 women's 138 teams in total

So, that being said, I doubt there's a report to the state, and there may be very little game management involved.

That being said, that's why so many officials on this forum simply refuse to work rec leagues. You often have little to no support from any kind of game management.

If that happened in my game, and someone was taking their time, I would make sure that someone on his team understood how quickly the ejected participant needed to vacate the premises, and then forfeit the game if there is not compliance. If game management THEN wants to clarify something, they are free to do so. But in the absence of any specific guidance, that's how I'm handling it.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 23, 2016 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 993510)

We are hoping to work something out with this league to help when a player is disqualified and needs to leave.

There have been several instances of players being disqualified, taking there time in gathering their belongings; delaying the game beyond a reasonable amount of time and also continuing unacceptable behaviour either doing or saying things that are not good for the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 993522)

If that happened in my game, and someone was taking their time, I would make sure that someone on his team understood how quickly the ejected participant needed to vacate the premises, and then forfeit the game if there is not compliance.

Agreed. They can return for their stuff after the game or have someone else bring it to them. Getting ejected form the game doesn't come with the freedom to hang around for any reason...the go or the game is over.

Adam Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37am

I'm with W&S and Camron. Once it's clear he's not leaving promptly, let the team know johnny has 30 (or 60) seconds to be out of the gym and out of sight. Let them know it'll be a forfeit if he doesn't.

If gm gets involved and stops you, feel free to leave. If there's no support from league management for this, then I wouldn't work the games.

Bob Bball Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:55pm

disqualified palyer

Thanks for your help.

We are putting into the service agreement with this league a policy that an disqualified player leaves in a minute. If not the game is over!

Adam Thu Nov 24, 2016 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 993544)
Thanks for your help.

We are putting into the service agreement with this league a policy that an disqualified player leaves in a minute. If not the game is over!

Getting it in writing is the first step.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 24, 2016 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 993544)
Thanks for your help.

Note that you probably want it to only apply to a player disqualified for a flagrant foul/2nd T....not someone who is DQ'd for just having 5 fouls.

ripian01 Thu Nov 24, 2016 05:30pm

I know the league that Bob bball is talking about. 1 minute to get their stuff and vacate the premises is more than enough.

Get it in writing for sure.

For our American friends south of the border a disqualifying foul in FIBA is a metric version of a flagrant foul.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk