The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

NBA clock and shot clock

Who manages this? I notice the refs have devices on their belt that they seem to press. Are they controlling the clock and shot clock? If so how do they decide which ref does this?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
The packs are Precision Timing Systems. When they press a button on the pack, it starts the clock. There is a microphone attached near the whistle that stops the clock on blasts of the whistle. The official chopping in time is responsible for starting the clock, but anyone can start time with a press of a button. As far as how timeouts are timeouts are handled, that is a rulebooks question that I don't have handy.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for this. What about the shot clock? Who controls those? Refs too?

On the timeout question I did look at the rule book and saw nothing on my question unless I'm missing something.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Thanks for this. What about the shot clock? Who controls those? Refs too?

On the timeout question I did look at the rule book and saw nothing on my question unless I'm missing something.
The home team provides a shot clock operator. This person is in control of the shot clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Thanks! Even though a shot clock operator might be "resetting" the shot clock when the ball hits the rim, would the shot clock still stop/start in sync with the official's who are keeping the time? Or is it totally separately operated?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Thanks! Even though a shot clock operator might be "resetting" the shot clock when the ball hits the rim, would the shot clock still stop/start in sync with the official's who are keeping the time? Or is it totally separately operated?
I don't know what they use in every arena, but in most (newer) systems the shot clock cannot run when the game clock is not running. Wehn schools I go to have a system where the shot clock is entirely independedt of the game clock, there are more issues.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
The shot clock will stop with the stop of the game clock and restart with the press of the button. The shot clock operator has a toggle switch that stays on but with the press and hold of the reset button, the shot clock is paused until it starts up again.
Precision Time, IncÂ*Â* Remote Whistle Timing System