The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 13, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 847
Last year I had a fight in one of the first games of the season. Some kid decided to wait about a quarter and a half into his high school basketball career before he threw a punch. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

I remember setting a goal for myself last year to have zero technical fouls on coaches. It was a goal mainly to make myself be a better communicator and continue to learn how to talk with coaches to calm them down, etc.

I made it to February before I had a T on a coach. The guy definitely earned it though so I couldn't be that mad about not hitting my goal. This year I don't know that I'll set a goal for a number...I think I'll continue to work on communicating with the coaches.

In a sense, coach technical fouls should almost call themselves. We let them toe the line and, again in a sense, it should be fairly obvious when they cross that line and earn themselves the tech.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Do you have an example of a T you had to call in one of these chippy games?
Pretty standard fair for the most part:

Team is out matched and as game goes on egos get bruised. Game gets chippy/ kids chirp and/ losing-winning coach complains about the way the game is being called and its impact on the outcome etc.

A couple of more colourful examples though.

*Double header at a private school. Boys game is going to be huge one. Girls game prior is ugly. V is up 30 early in the 2nd quarter. V coach empties the bench and game becomes much more even. V16 is probably more a manager than a player but is getting big minutes. Rowdy H student section led by what appears to be the hockey/football team getting ready for boys game notices before she shoots free throws that she adjusts straps on fitted Durant style shoes. Everytime she catches the ball the section starts yelling your shoes are untied. Continues in the 2nd half kid is clearly rattled and eventually coach takes her out. Group containing some starters comes in and goes on a quick 8-0 run to push lead to 45+. Girl who hits three turns to H student section leader and says "How about you stop yelling sh%& at my teammate, and I'll tell your gf to keep pretending to yell about your d$%(?"


*2A league game. Home team overmatching the Vistors by about 25+ late in the 3rd Home defense is keeping V frustrated. H coach seems hot about something and is talking to my partner post timeout. We resume play a couple of trips later there is collision between offensive V and defending home player. Bang Bang both players go down hard. My partner comes up with a block. A clipboard hits the floor hard on the H side. I approach the H bench with the Head Coach picking up the clipboard and sitting down. I inform him that he has to keep bench and himself under control. He responds: " I will take care of them if you do something about him. He hasn't called a charge since we got up 15 its been all blocks or no calls. When I talked to him about it he said I can't expect to get that many of those calls. I will take care of my bench if you can stop him from cheating my kids."
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Mon Nov 14, 2016 at 09:43am.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 10:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SLC Utah
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Pretty standard fair for the most part:

Team is out matched and as game goes on egos get bruised. Game gets chippy/ kids chirp and/ losing-winning coach complains about the way the game is being called and its impact on the outcome etc.

A couple of more colourful examples though.

*Double header at a private school. Boys game is going to be huge one. Girls game prior is ugly. V is up 30 early in the 2nd quarter. V coach empties the bench and game becomes much more even. V16 is probably more a manager than a player but is getting big minutes. Rowdy H student section led by what appears to be the hockey/football team getting ready for boys game notices before she shoots free throws that she adjusts straps on fitted Durant style shoes. Everytime she catches the ball the section starts yelling your shoes are untied. Continues in the 2nd half kid is clearly rattled and eventually coach takes her out. Group containing some starters comes in and goes on a quick 8-0 run to push lead to 45+. Girl who hits three turns to H student section leader and says "How about you stop yelling sh%& at my teammate, and I'll tell your gf to keep pretending to yell about your d$%(?"


*2A league game. Home team overmatching the Vistors by about 25+ late in the 3rd Home defense is keeping V frustrated. H coach seems hot about something and is talking to my partner post timeout. We resume play a couple of trips later there is collision between offensive V and defending home player. Bang Bang both players go down hard. My partner comes up with a block. A clipboard hits the floor hard on the H side. I approach the H bench with the Head Coach picking up the clipboard and sitting down. I inform him that he has to keep bench and himself under control. He responds: " I will take care of them if you do something about him. He hasn't called a charge since we got up 15 its been all blocks or no calls. When I talked to him about it he said I can't expect to get that many of those calls. I will take care of my bench if you can stop him from cheating my kids."
So T's on either of these or nothing?
__________________
BigT "The rookie"
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 11:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So T's on either of these or nothing?
Definitely T's on both. We ended up tossing the girl when she argued the T.
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 12:32pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Definitely T's on both. We ended up tossing the girl when she argued the T.
Do you think you should have just whacked him when he threw the clipboard and not given him a chance to show his ass further?
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:11pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Definitely T's on both. We ended up tossing the girl when she argued the T.
Were they bad block/charge calls? If I didn't T him up for the clipboard there's absolutely no way I'm Ting him up for what he said. Just diffuse it.


I wouldn't even want to T the girl in the first place(not that I wouldn't), let alone toss her for not liking the T. Did she punch you? Lol


I don't predict my T count for the year. About the only thing I do is try to never have a situation where I have to give a T. If someone really wants one.... then I'll oblige. It's so much easier to just shut coaches/players up early instead of letting them boil.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Do you think you should have just whacked him when he threw the clipboard and not given him a chance to show his ass further?
Like most things I would rather call what I see happen rather than what I think happened.

Did he most likely fire his clipboard to the ground ticked off? Probably. I didn't see it though and to just hear noise and see the after math isn't enough for me to T. If I toss a T and find out some manager kicked over the equipment pile I'm in a real mess.

The approach and warning generically covers the situation so that if its nothing we can just move on, if its something it will now be something.

At the point he says cheating that basically becomes automatic in our part of Rome!
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Were they bad block/charge calls? If I didn't T him up for the clipboard there's absolutely no way I'm Ting him up for what he said. Just diffuse it.


I wouldn't even want to T the girl in the first place(not that I wouldn't), let alone toss her for not liking the T. Did she punch you? Lol


I don't predict my T count for the year. About the only thing I do is try to never have a situation where I have to give a T. If someone really wants one.... then I'll oblige. It's so much easier to just shut coaches/players up early instead of letting them boil.
Not defending the coach at all, but my partner that night is a bit of a cowboy and does and says some stuff thats not my style but seems to work for him. All of the calls he had were stuff where you had to have something. Most not in my primary, I know that I called a couple of charges and there were also a lot of no calls on stuff I was responsible for. Again the defense was tough on on just about every drive try there was a body contact between the driver and help defense.

The one he called that caused the clipboard to fly I was more likely to no call. Dribbler picked up the ball at the point of contact and reverse pivoted to pass. No one was getting cheated.

After game partner said he told him that "you can't get every call, even in a game like this".


In terms of the girl. I asked my partner to pay a little more attention to the student section and if it ever crossed a line we could get game management involved. I T'd her up and she stormed off. My partner T'd her on the walk away apparently said "Who's he . .. his fu%^ing dad?"
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Mon Nov 14, 2016 at 01:53pm.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:51pm
9 times
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So T's on either of these or nothing?
Is this a serious question Todd? You have been working long enough to know that this is unacceptable...in both cases (although I think you get the coach for throwing the clipboard).
__________________
Get it right!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 03:05pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Not defending the coach at all, but my partner that night is a bit of a cowboy and does and says some stuff thats not my style but seems to work for him. All of the calls he had were stuff where you had to have something. Most not in my primary, I know that I called a couple of charges and there were also a lot of no calls on stuff I was responsible for. Again the defense was tough on on just about every drive try there was a body contact between the driver and help defense.

The one he called that caused the clipboard to fly I was more likely to no call. Dribbler picked up the ball at the point of contact and reverse pivoted to pass. No one was getting cheated.

After game partner said he told him that "you can't get every call, even in a game like this".


In terms of the girl. I asked my partner to pay a little more attention to the student section and if it ever crossed a line we could get game management involved. I T'd her up and she stormed off. My partner T'd her on the walk away apparently said "Who's he . .. his fu%^ing dad?"
Make sense, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 03:07pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Is this a serious question Todd? You have been working long enough to know that this is unacceptable...in both cases (although I think you get the coach for throwing the clipboard).
I doubt his reason for asking is because he doesn't know what he'd do in either situation.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 10:40am
9 times
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 777
I know Big T personally and I asked my question because I know that he should know better without asking...
__________________
Get it right!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is the preseason in your area? tomegun Basketball 21 Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:14pm
NBA Predictions! Dan_ref Basketball 1 Wed Nov 22, 2006 05:12pm
PRESEASON JITTERS NEED HELP PAT THE REF Baseball 35 Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56am
Fee for preseason scrimmage BayStateRef Basketball 12 Tue Oct 19, 2004 06:22am
CCA PreSeason Test shawn.wortman Football 0 Mon May 19, 2003 03:27pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1