The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 480
I'm surprised to hear no one is simply stating to ignore that behavior and just work your game. Too often I see officials getting involved with a loud mouth parent which serves nothing but to break your concentration to work your game. Do you seriously find it so distracting that you are compelled to address it from the floor? As officials we need to have a deaf ear to ALL of the crap that comes from the stands...unless someone is throwing projectiles or impeding you from performing you duties in a safe environment you just gotta tune that stuff out and let admin or other parents deal with the clowns.
__________________
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Chris Z.
Detroit/SE Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 11:13pm
High Five Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 669
Robmoz: of course we all believe that in a game we are being paid for. The OP is asking for help in a game he volunteers in. In that case, imho, fans can simply cheer for their teams and no more. Any crap and one of us is leaving and I'd bet it ain't gonna be me
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 22,191
Special Olympics Unified Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I can't imagine myself working for free, especially a youth game, unless it's camp or a required scrimmage.
If it's in your area, give Special Olympics Unified Games a try.

Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 11:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*I applaud you for volunteering your valuable time to work that youth tournament.
For parents who are "not playing nice" in the stands all of the aforementioned palliatives suggested by the other posters work well and are appropriate and will not cause you any problems with your reputation as an official. Again, applause for your volunteer work.
There are 2 kids tourneys that I do every year where I volunteer my time and do a bunch of games.

It seems that the parents at the kids tourneys are worse than what I see in high school. It's unbelievable what you see and what you have to put up with when you volunteer.

I echo the sentiments to not put up with it. Just get it over with as quickly and classy as you possibly can. Don't stoop to their behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
How's this? "Let's trade places. You come out here and ref and I'll sit there and act like a jackass."
Wow! An old Davism!
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Robmoz: of course we all believe that in a game we are being paid for. The OP is asking for help in a game he volunteers in. In that case, imho, fans can simply cheer for their teams and no more. Any crap and one of us is leaving and I'd bet it ain't gonna be me
Don't assume we all believe that money makes a difference as to what you put up with...do you really change the way you ref just because you got paid? I would think you might even work harder to put on a professional effort because most volunteer work has a deeper underlying objective...if at least a friend asks me to help out I certainly will not try to be a red ass or be "that guy" that feels the need to show up some knucklehead ranting parent. IMHO you should hold yourself to a higher standard no matter the contest.
__________________
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Chris Z.
Detroit/SE Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 08:54pm
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 768
For me, the difference is not money versus volunteering, but between school/travel ball, and kids' recreational leagues, where emphases on learning, sportsmanship, life lessons. Around here, these leagues have codes of conduct for players, coaches and parents. At a certain point, I would not hesitate to remind parents of the league's code of conduct.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 10:44pm
High Five Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Don't assume we all believe that money makes a difference as to what you put up with...do you really change the way you ref just because you got paid? I would think you might even work harder to put on a professional effort because most volunteer work has a deeper underlying objective...if at least a friend asks me to help out I certainly will not try to be a red ass or be "that guy" that feels the need to show up some knucklehead ranting parent. IMHO you should hold yourself to a higher standard no matter the contest.


Never said I would change the way I call the game, be a red ass, or try to show anybody up. I said if I'm volunteering my time, I'm going to expect to not deal with any of the "normal" crap. To me, there is a difference. I understand your point and agree as far as the actual contest. But if I am there for free for a charity, howlers can leave as soon as they start howling.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 01:56pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
I'm surprised to hear no one is simply stating to ignore that behavior and just work your game. Too often I see officials getting involved with a loud mouth parent which serves nothing but to break your concentration to work your game. Do you seriously find it so distracting that you are compelled to address it from the floor? As officials we need to have a deaf ear to ALL of the crap that comes from the stands...unless someone is throwing projectiles or impeding you from performing you duties in a safe environment you just gotta tune that stuff out and let admin or other parents deal with the clowns.
It was implied with my comment that if it's distracting me, I'll deal with it. The more we do this, the less easily we are distracted. Sometimes, though, the trash needs to be taken out.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 12:34pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Don't assume we all believe that money makes a difference as to what you put up with...do you really change the way you ref just because you got paid? I would think you might even work harder to put on a professional effort because most volunteer work has a deeper underlying objective...if at least a friend asks me to help out I certainly will not try to be a red ass or be "that guy" that feels the need to show up some knucklehead ranting parent. IMHO you should hold yourself to a higher standard no matter the contest.
This isn't about "that guy" and I'm not sure why you're stuck on a cherry-picked situation.

Fee or no fee, if fans need to go then I'm going to do my job and make sure they go. Should it be rare? Sure, but situations are different. Just because one official has never tossed a fan doesn't mean another shouldn't have tossed forty in five games because it was needed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorekeeper behavior SCalScoreKeeper Basketball 21 Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:39am
Player Behavior SF Basketball 20 Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:17pm
Sideline behavior Texoma_LJ Football 12 Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:08pm
Poor fan behavior WinterWillie Basketball 14 Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:37pm
coach behavior dacollegegirl Basketball 14 Mon Dec 09, 2002 07:11pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1