The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pick a number (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101792-pick-number.html)

Hugh Refner Thu Nov 03, 2016 09:11pm

Pick a number

I was watching a rerun of an episode of Law & Order - Criminal Intent, entitled "Mad Hops" filmed in 2004. The story was about some HS basketball players. In one scene, they showed eight of them in the area around the locker room. Of those eight, five were wearing "illegal" numbers: 6, 9, 16, 27 and 46. They were nice looking uniforms, however.

Maybe some day, TV and movies will get their act together on this issue. Or - maybe not.

Freddy Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 992679)
The story was about some HS basketball players. In one scene, they showed eight of them in the area around the locker room. Of those eight, five were wearing "illegal" numbers: 6, 9, 16, 27 and 46.

Did the coach lose his box for the entire game?
:)

bob jenkins Fri Nov 04, 2016 07:37am

Quote:

I was watching a rerun of an episode of Law & Order - Criminal Intent, entitled "Mad Hops" filmed in 2004. The story was about some HS basketball players. In one scene, they showed eight of them in the area around the locker room. Of those eight, five were wearing "illegal" numbers: 6, 9, 16, 27 and 46. They were nice looking uniforms, however.

Maybe some day, TV and movies will get their act together on this issue. Or - maybe not.

That's Padgett's schtick

JRutledge Fri Nov 04, 2016 08:41am

Didn't someone see this same situation before and post it here?

Peace

Raymond Fri Nov 04, 2016 08:47am

Quote:

Do you think they really care?

SE Minnestoa Re Fri Nov 04, 2016 01:24pm

I have told my wife for years that the studios should hire me every time they depict officials in a game. It drives me absolutely crazy when they have the referees in the wrong uniform or have them doing something that is not correct.

Of course I have also been referred to as OCD so there may be a connection.:D

BoomerSooner Fri Nov 04, 2016 02:36pm

Were the players actually wearing those numbers during a game?

In high school we used practice jerseys with illegal numbers so the coach could differentiate between varsity and sub-varsity guys during mixed squad scrimmages. For example, each squad might be made up of 5 varsity players, 3 JV players and 3 sophomore players. Only the 5 varsity players had legal numbers. I think they might also have been used by the football team for scrimmages as well. The 50-79 series of jerseys were also worn and stretched more than most of the other jerseys.

Adam Fri Nov 04, 2016 03:20pm

It's a television show using basketball as a plot device. Pinpoint accuracy is not their goal.

For me, by the time I get past the other mistakes (gym size, officials' uniforms, unrealistic play, unrealistic banter, etc) I never even notice uniform numbers.

grunewar Fri Nov 04, 2016 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 992695)
It's a television show using basketball as a plot device. Pinpoint accuracy is not their goal.

It's like me watching an Army movie and looking at drill and ceremony, uniforms, awards, haircuts, etc. :rolleyes:

bwburke94 Mon Nov 07, 2016 01:17pm

Even NBA 2K17 screws this up, which is surprising considering 2K used to make a college basketball game.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 07, 2016 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 992751)
Even NBA 2K17 screws this up, which is surprising considering 2K used to make a college basketball game.

Exactly what does NBA 2K17 screw up?

Raymond Mon Nov 07, 2016 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 992751)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 992752)
Exactly what does NBA 2K17 screw up?

I'm confused as well, since the NBA doesn't seem to have any numbering limitations.