The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   False Double Foul or Not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101784-false-double-foul-not.html)

grunewar Sat Oct 29, 2016 06:45pm

False Double Foul or Not?

A1 is dribbling down the court and at the top of the key beats defender B1. As he goes down the lane he jumps for a shot and is pushed by B1 from behind. B2 has legal guarding position in front of A1, and the push by B1 causes A1 to crash into B2 before returning to the floor. The shot is missed.

4.19.9 Situation A

Does the push, causing A1 to crash into B1, have any bearing on the ruling?

BigCat Sat Oct 29, 2016 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 992565)
A1 is dribbling down the court and at the top of the key beats defender B1. As he goes down the lane he jumps for a shot and is pushed by B1 from behind. B2 has legal guarding position in front of A1, and the push by B1 causes A1 to crash into B2 before returning to the floor. The shot is missed.

4.19.9 Situation A

The push by B1 from behind is a foul. You have said the push caused the crash. Give A 1 2 shots.

Camron Rust Sun Oct 30, 2016 03:01am

Quote:

4.19.9 Situation A

If you were to all it, then it would be a false double foul. Foul 2 happened after the first but before the clock started following the first.

That said, I'm almost certain that the push by B1 caused it...and I didn't even see it. As such, A1 didn't foul B2 at all since A1's action didn't cause the contact. B1's actions did.

justacoach Sun Oct 30, 2016 03:43am

Quote:

4.19.9 Situation A

Go ahead, I double dare you to call it.

ODog Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 992573)
If you were to call it, then it would be a false double foul. Foul 2 happened after the first but before the clock started following the first.

And it wasn't opponents fouling each other.

Raymond Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 992578)
And it wasn't opponents fouling each other.

Opponents fouling each other is not part of the definition of a FDF.

Nevadaref Mon Oct 31, 2016 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 992586)
Opponents fouling each other is not part of the definition of a FDF.

It is one of the two aspects of a double foul along with the fouls occurring at approximately the same time. For a false double foul, one of the two aspects of a double foul is absent. That is what makes it "false."

Adam Mon Oct 31, 2016 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 992613)
It is one of the two aspects of a double foul along with the fouls occurring at approximately the same time. For a false double foul, one of the two aspects of a double foul is absent. That is what makes it "false."

He meant that it's not one of the requirements for a FDF.

ODog Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 992614)
He meant that it's not one of the requirements for a FDF.

Nope. I meant exactly what Nevadaref said, word for word.

Adam Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 992618)
Nope. I meant exactly what Nevadaref said, word for word.

I wasn't clarifying your post. I was clarifying BNR's post, which is who Nevadaref quoted.

Camron Rust Tue Nov 01, 2016 02:02am

Just to clarify what Adam was clarifying about ODogs clarification of BNR's clarification of Nevada's comment on ODogs..... :eek:

Seriously, I have no idea who was saying what after all of that....but I think all were probably saying the same thing.

It IS a FDF both because the fouls were not at approximately the same time AND because it wasn't two opponents against each other. It only takes the absence of one to be a FDF but in this case, both elements of the double foul were absent, yet they occurred with no time having elapsed off the clock. The last point (the clock) is what leads to them being classified as a FDF instead of just two unrelated fouls.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 01, 2016 02:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 992625)
Just to clarify what Adam was clarifying about ODogs clarification of BNR's clarification of Nevada's comment on ODogs..... :eek:

Seriously, I have no idea who was saying what after all of that....but I think all were probably saying the same thing.

It IS a FDF both because the fouls were not at approximately the same time AND because it wasn't two opponents against each other. It only takes the absence of one to be a FDF but in this case, both elements of the double foul were absent, yet they occurred with no time having elapsed off the clock. The last point (the clock) is what leads to them being classified as a FDF instead of just two unrelated fouls.

I wish to concur with that clarification of ...:cool:
Save

bob jenkins Tue Nov 01, 2016 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 992622)
I wasn't clarifying your post. I was clarifying BNR's post, which is who Nevadaref quoted.

So --- odog's post was a false double clarification?

Adam Tue Nov 01, 2016 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 992628)
So --- odog's post was a false double clarification?

by rule, yes.

Camron Rust Tue Nov 01, 2016 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 992630)
by rule, yes.

I think that is a multiple foul. :eek: