The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Reporting foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101776-reporting-foul.html)

onetime1 Thu Oct 27, 2016 08:50am

Reporting foul

Do you stop entirely when reporting a foul or go with the walk and talk?

SNIPERBBB Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:03am

We stop. Too many times the scorer is not paying attention to you and trying record the information before you give it. At least in my area.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:07am

HS: Stop (or at lest are supposed to)

College: Walk and Talk

Freddy Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:22am

Here in the state that is north of a line drawn between where Rut and DeNucci lives we are instructed to stop in the reporting area and then report. No "accusatory point" to the bench, just verbalize color. One-hand reporting as per 2-9-1. That's the approved aim anyway.

Raymond Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 992432)
HS: Stop (or at lest are supposed to)

College: Walk and Talk

NCAA-Men's have stated they want us to jog to the reporting area and come to a stop before reporting.

JRutledge Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:48am

I stop during HS games. I almost stop during college games, but as BNR said that is now the standard.

Peace

Dad Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 992435)
NCAA-Men's have stated they want us to jog to the reporting area and come to a stop before reporting.

To and from, in my experience. I got busted on the from part.

crosscountry55 Thu Oct 27, 2016 07:21pm

I have formed a bad habit the last couple years of walking and talking. Evidently, something I need to correct as it is going out of style. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onetime1 Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:44am

Every supervisor tells me to stop then report and then every supervisor I watch walks and talks at the same time.

APG Fri Oct 28, 2016 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 992522)
Every supervisor tells me to stop then report and then every supervisor I watch walks and talks at the same time.

Someone whom I consider very knowledgeable in this thing of ours once told me this:

When you're younger and/or newer....do all your mechanics perfectly. Prove to those in power that you know what to do. Once you're accepted/proven, then you get to add a bit of your style/personality.

bballref3966 Fri Oct 28, 2016 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 992522)

APG's advice was better than I could have phrased it.

I went to a high school camp this summer and one of the clinicians said, "You've obviously worked very hard on your mechanics. Now work on being less robotic and more approachable." Not sure if that really translates to this or not, but it was a good bit of advice. If I wasn't doing my mechanics correctly, he probably would have told me to work on x and y until I nailed them.

For what it's worth, I come to a stop in my high school games. We use NFHS mechanics in SC with no exceptions (individual crews choose whether to "long switch"), and even though using book mechanics is not strictly enforced (the basketball commissioner doesn't really know anything about officiating), I stop and use one hand because that's what we're supposed to do. I don't know what it is, but for me, walking and talking while using one hand feels awkward. It feels less awkward if I'm using two. Again, that's just me.

In my JUCO games my assigner hasn't really implored us to stop before we report, but I try very hard to because that's what the CCA manual says to do.

BigCat Fri Oct 28, 2016 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 992431)
We stop. Too many times the scorer is not paying attention to you and trying record the information before you give it. At least in my area.

That drives me crazy.

Drizzle Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56am

Texas allows walk & talk, so that's what I do.