The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin Dells End of Game Call

I ran across this on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ZZKKAcMV0

This may have been discussed previously, I couldn't find another thread by searching, but does anyone know any of the other details to this play or what the lead official actually called? It appears to me the lead official ruled a violation on the offensive player for moving along the end line while inbounding.]

(edited to correct lead / trail error)

Last edited by APG; Fri Oct 07, 2016 at 10:41am. Reason: embedding is your friend
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This has been discussed previously, as the trail official is a long time member of this board. The lead was the one who made the call from the front court (the trail is the one with the thrower), and he called a five second throw-in violation.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Ahh, thats right, it was made after a made basket. Any idea of when it was discussed or the thread name?
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 10:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here you go. There were other threads as well.

Bad Partner
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Thank you
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

This is my 30th year as a basketball official coming up and my legacy will be this f*&%ing YouTube video -- one, by the way, where I did absolutely nothing wrong.

In the past I've ignored these posts, but I'm going to own this -- cause I did nothing wrong here.

It's not my fault that the home team was out of timeouts. I certainly wasn't going to change how/when I start my "at the disposal of" count just cause the game clock was under 10 seconds. There isn't a single person who could possibly think that 5 seconds passed from when the ball was at the disposal of the thrower-in and when the new L decided that it was a 1-man game.

The really interesting thing that I learned recently about this is that the official who called the 5-second violation at midcourt like a raving lunatic still, TO THIS DAY, thinks that he did the proper thing and saved the day.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Regarding Rich's infamous partner, it reminds me of the Joey Crawford quote about good officials who know when they're bad. Doug Sirmons is a good official. Do you think he knows he was bad when he made that call off his line last March? You bet he does.

Humble pie is a staple part of our diet in this business. I got your back, Rich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It's still a miracle to me that Rich didn't go to prison over this incident.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is my 30th year as a basketball official coming up and my legacy will be this f*&%ing YouTube video -- one, by the way, where I did absolutely nothing wrong.

In the past I've ignored these posts, but I'm going to own this -- cause I did nothing wrong here.

It's not my fault that the home team was out of timeouts. I certainly wasn't going to change how/when I start my "at the disposal of" count just cause the game clock was under 10 seconds. There isn't a single person who could possibly think that 5 seconds passed from when the ball was at the disposal of the thrower-in and when the new L decided that it was a 1-man game.

The really interesting thing that I learned recently about this is that the official who called the 5-second violation at midcourt like a raving lunatic still, TO THIS DAY, thinks that he did the proper thing and saved the day.
If people are holding that over your head, they are stupid. For one you did not cause the situation, your partner did. That is on him. It might be something people identify you for, but I cannot believe that is the thing people hold over your head. I have shown that video in some situations for teaching purposes, but never, ever made it seem like you were the cause of all that confusion. Now your situation is more public, but we have all had situations we did that we are not proud of, but your situation is not one of them.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Exactly!!!!

Peace
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 12:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

We're good for this video once or twice a year it seems. Poor Rich.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've read through a couple of these threads, and I can only find one guy who might be insinuating any sort of defense for the L-- the guy who asks about the Duke travel call. I think it's an interesting video and warrants discussion, and Rich, I am 100% sure I'm in the majority here when I echo the sentiment that you have no reason to even care that this gets posted. I know there was one thread that was deleted a while back, but it sounds like that guy had a personal vendetta against you, not your actions in that video.

Also, it only has 65k views. That's peanuts compared to the views Ed Hightower's theatrics have gotten him over the years (and for a bad reason IMO).
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Does this guy still officiate?

And has he showed up at any of your camps?
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 01:09pm
High Five Master

I'm interested to know if that guy still calls as well.

And rich, you know and we all know you got caught in a crap situation. You can be comforted by the fact this video is a great teachable tool for new guys on what not to do.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
LOL, I agree. I've watched this multiple times and it is still as cringeworthy as the first time I watched it. That coach deserves a lot of respect for not completely losing his damned mind too.