The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   illegal screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1015-illegal-screen.html)

kschau Wed Oct 25, 2000 03:00pm

This is my second year of officiating...My partner and I have established a good working relationship and feel we do a pretty good job at all levels. We are still unsure of what our signal should be for an illegal screen. This seems to happen often in a game. Is this a block? Is this a push?

I typically call a push and then verbally say "illegal screen #34"! and at the same time I give a push signal. IS THIS CORRECT?

Tim Roden Wed Oct 25, 2000 03:20pm

90% of the time I use a block because the illegal screen was just not setting up properly. e.g. Not giving the step. The only time I use the push is if he actually pushed off or used his hands while setting the screen.

kspann Wed Oct 25, 2000 03:20pm

The illegal screen mechanic should be to give the block signal. The screener is hindering the defense by blocking a path to the dribbler or offensive player.

mick Wed Oct 25, 2000 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
90% of the time I use a block because the illegal screen was just not setting up properly. e.g. Not giving the step. The only time I use the push is if he actually pushed off or used his hands while setting the screen.
Hey, Tim,
A push can be called when the Screener is moving toward the defender, also. I mostly call pushes with above the waist contact, and blocks with lower body contacts.
mick

Tim Roden Wed Oct 25, 2000 03:32pm

Thanks mick. I thought about that after I posted. Good point.

Bradley Batt Thu Oct 26, 2000 02:15pm

Quote:

My partner and I have established a good working relationship and feel we do a pretty good job at all levels.
Do you only ever work with one other official?

Just wondering...

kschau Thu Oct 26, 2000 02:24pm

Yes...for the girls season and in the smaller schools. For the bigger schools; we work a 3 man

Glenn Lampman Fri Oct 27, 2000 12:59pm

illegal screen

Might suggest that the verbage of "illegal screen" be eliminated from your game. The mechanics tell all you need to tell, excessive verbage tends to appear as if you are trying to justify your call

Tim Roden Fri Oct 27, 2000 03:05pm

I'd disagree with that. Block is associated with blocking and charging. Therefore I use the block signal but verbalize it was an illegal screen. That way the coaches know what they have to teach the kid the next time they have practice.

Todd VandenAkker Fri Oct 27, 2000 03:33pm

I agree, Tim, both with using the "block" signal and verbally calling it an illegal screen. It's not excessive verbiage (it's only two words), and it very clearly communicates what occurred. Most veterans I've seen do it that way as well. [BTW, a charge would use the "push" signal, not the "block" signal.]

[Edited by Todd VandenAkker on Oct 27th, 2000 at 03:38 PM]

Tim Roden Fri Oct 27, 2000 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
[BTW, a charge would use the "push" signal, not the "block" signal.]

[Edited by Todd VandenAkker on Oct 27th, 2000 at 03:38 PM]

I agree. I ment to say that the coach is used to associating the block call with the block/charge context, not illegal screen. That is why it must be verbalized.

Todd VandenAkker Sat Oct 28, 2000 02:10pm

I getcha. Right on!

Alaska Ref Sun Oct 29, 2000 02:33am

The screen is not illegal it's the contact that results from that screen. It must be called as a Block! I would not use a push signal.

If the screener set's and the screenie push's his way through then that would be a push!

Good luck.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 29, 2000 05:16pm

But sometimes it is a push and not an illegal screen.

You're correct that the contact makes it illegal, but I think illegal screen is still the proper term. Just don't call it a moving screen.

David Clausi Mon Oct 30, 2000 11:41am

illegal screen

If you want to distinguish a "block" from an "illegal screen", show the block signal and then indicate the new direction of the ball, then everyone knows that the foul is against the offense. Verbalizing is nice, but in a large noisy gym, it is difficult for everyone to hear you. Pointing in the new ball direction lets everyone know what is going on.

Cheers,
David