The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul in the act of shooting, or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101455-foul-act-shooting-not.html)

SAK Wed Jun 22, 2016 07:07pm

Foul in the act of shooting, or not

Foul in the act of shooting or not? A1 is in the act of shooting and is being guarded by B1. A2 being guarded by B2 is fouled (a) before A1 releases the ball but after A1 has begun his/her habitual motion, and is in the act of shooting; (b) after A1 has released his/her shot and the ball is in the air.

Please provide your rulings on the two situations and a rule reference NFHS rules.

BigCat Wed Jun 22, 2016 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 988702)
Foul in the act of shooting or not? A1 is in the act of shooting and is being guarded by B1. A2 being guarded by B2 is fouled (a) before A1 releases the ball but after A1 has begun his/her habitual motion, and is in the act of shooting; (b) after A1 has released his/her shot and the ball is in the air.

Please provide your rulings on the two situations and a rule reference NFHS rules.

6-7-7 Exception a-c. A foul by an opponent which occurs after act of shooting begins and before try end does not cause ball to become dead. Basket counts. Penalize other foul.

SC Official Wed Jun 22, 2016 08:32pm

Continuous motion.

Nevadaref Thu Jun 23, 2016 01:06am

Many uninformed HS officials wrongly fail to award the goal in part (a) believing that only the circumstances of part (b) warrant counting it when there is an off-ball defensive foul. Don't be one of these guys! Know the continuous motion rule and it's proper application.
NFHS Casebook ruling 6.7 Situation D is your best rule reference.

crosscountry55 Thu Jun 23, 2016 07:15am

Had an (a) situation last season where the try after the foul came from outside of my primary. I was already starting to move to report when "swish"…and I said to myself, "oh now just wait, there might be a rule to apply here!" So I went to my partner, asked him if continuous motion had begun, and he said yes. Went to the table, counted the basket and assessed the foul. Coach wanted a brief explanation, I provided it, he was satisfied and then we moved on. The moral of the story is don't be in a rush.

bob jenkins Thu Jun 23, 2016 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 988702)

Part (b) is NOT "in the act of shooting," and, honestly, I 'm not sure whether part (a) is or not.

Either way, that doesn't affect the administration of the penalties -- which is probably what you are really asking. Count the basket (if it's made) and enforce the foul against A2 (bonus FTs or ball OOB nearest the spot of the foul).

SAK Thu Jun 23, 2016 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 988717)
Many uninformed HS officials wrongly fail to award the goal in part (a) believing that only the circumstances of part (b) warrant counting it when there is an off-ball defensive foul. Don't be one of these guys! Know the continuous motion rule and it's proper application.
NFHS Casebook ruling 6.7 Situation D is your best rule reference.

I was not looking for the continuous motion though that is a good reference and I think answered my question. What I was looking for is a case in which A5 (in this case) shoots the "and one." From Casebook ruling 6.7 situation E (in the 2015-2016 case book as I have no D, but believe it to be the same situation) seems to cover it as if this was the case A5 would shoot one and that is not what the case book has happening.

Adam Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 988729)
I was not looking for the continuous motion though that is a good reference and I think answered my question. What I was looking for is a case in which A5 (in this case) shoots the "and one." From Casebook ruling 6.7 situation E (in the 2015-2016 case book as I have no D, but believe it to be the same situation) seems to cover it as if this was the case A5 would shoot one and that is not what the case book has happening.

You won't find it because it's not the high school (or college) ruling.

deecee Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:03am

Quote:

NBA rules are different from college/HS. We penalize each act individually and an "and one" would imply that the person making the shot takes the FT. This isn't the case the shooter get his shot then we penalize the foul as we would any other. Ball out of bounds or 1&1 or 2 shots.

Nevadaref Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:31pm

Quote:

6.7 Situation D is at the top of page 54 in the 2015-16 NFHS Casebook.

6.7 SITUATION D:
A1 has started a try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight when the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful.
RULING: Score the goal by A1. If Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws. If not, Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred.
COMMENT: The foul by the defense need not be on the player in the act of shooting for continuous motion principles to apply. (6-7 Exception c)

The rest of your post inquires about how this would be administered under NBA rules. The above is correct for both NFHS and NCAA.

SAK Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42am

@Nevada, Thank you for finding the page for me in the case book and further showing me that I truly am blind (sarcastic). The coaches must be right.

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 988740)
The coaches must be right.

Please - no profanity on this site. :mad: