The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal Guarding Position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101452-legal-guarding-position.html)

RefBob Tue Jun 21, 2016 05:24pm

Legal Guarding Position

I came across NFHS Case Book scenario 10.6.1, Situation A with a result that I was not expecting. In the scenario, B1 is legally occupying a spot on the court before A1 jumps in the air to catch a pass. B1 then moves to a new spot (while A1 is airborne). A1 then lands on one foot and charges into B1. Foul on A1.

CB 10.6.1 Situation C has a scenario with airborne shooter A1 with language that says if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1.

Why the different results? I know that in Situation A, A1 is not a shooter, but NFHS Rules 4-23-4b and 4-23-5d seem to have the same language for establishing a legal guarding position on an airborne opponent with or without the ball - "the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor."

Not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Raymond Tue Jun 21, 2016 05:26pm

Because in the first situation he landed so he's no longer an Airborne player

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Jun 21, 2016 05:28pm

The first play, A1 came back to the floor. He was given a chance to land and then contacts B1.

The second play A1 never got a chance to get back to the floor and that is why it is a foul on B1.

Again, go back and read what a legal B1 can do with an airborne player and what they cannot. There is your answer. ;)

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Jun 21, 2016 05:37pm

Also note that in neither case is moving prohibited after the opponent is airborne. What is prohibited is moving INTO the path of an airborne opponent. That means a defender who is in the path of an opponent can legally continue to move....backwards, or even sideways. However, sideways movement, if the player was already in the path serves no useful purpose. Don't penalize a defender who legally gets in the path in time, but adjusts sideways for some reason when they would have been hit either way.

RefBob Tue Jun 21, 2016 06:26pm

Thanks for the replies. I imagine the issue is figuring out what is exactly moving into the path of an airborne opponent. It seems pretty tough that A1 goes full speed for a layup, checks before he goes airborne that no B players are in front of him, lands with one (or two) feet and then because of his momentum immediately contacts B1 who established a court spot while A1 was airborne right in front of where he knew A1 was going to land and contact him - and then A1 gets called for a foul. A1 never would have had a chance to see B1.

justacoach Tue Jun 21, 2016 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by requintero (Post 988666)
Thanks for the replies. I imagine the issue is figuring out what is exactly moving into the path of an airborne opponent. It seems pretty tough that A1 goes full speed for a layup, checks before he goes airborne that no B players are in front of him, lands with one (or two) feet and then because of his momentum immediately contacts B1 who established a court spot while A1 was airborne right in front of where he knew A1 was going to land and contact him - and then A1 gets called for a foul. A1 never would have had a chance to see B1.

Sorry, the issue is figuring out the definition of airborne shooter. Once you grasp that simple concept, the other questions answer themselves.

RefBob Tue Jun 21, 2016 08:42pm

Makes sense when you focus on the fact that, by definition, A1 is not an airborne shooter after he returns to the floor. So he would be subject to the contact rules of any other player. So I see everyone's point. Is my thinking correct that if A1 made the shot, and the contact with B1 was after the ball went through the ring the ball would be dead so the contact (assuming it was not intentional or flagrant) could be ignored? Even if the contact couldn't be ignored, I assume the basket would count?

Thanks again, and appreciate the expertise.

JetMetFan Wed Jun 22, 2016 04:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by requintero (Post 988669)
Makes sense when you focus on the fact that, by definition, A1 is not an airborne shooter after he returns to the floor. So he would be subject to the contact rules of any other player. So I see everyone's point. Is my thinking correct that if A1 made the shot, and the contact with B1 was after the ball went through the ring the ball would be dead so the contact (assuming it was not intentional or flagrant) could be ignored? Even if the contact couldn't be ignored, I assume the basket would count?

My turn.

Check out NF 4-19-1 NOTE and NF 5-1-2.

deecee Wed Jun 22, 2016 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by requintero (Post 988669)

IF there is contact after a made basket why would you ever cancel the score?

What would you do if an airborne shooter lands, then runs over a defender, then the ball goes through the basket. Let's assume the contact IS a foul.

bob jenkins Wed Jun 22, 2016 08:23am

Quote:

A1 would NOT be called for a foul in this situation. A1 no longer has the ball -- so the guarding rules on "a moving player with the ball" don't apply.

Read the guarding and screening rules and note the difference between stationary and moving; with the ball and without; airborne shooter.

Pantherdreams Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:09am

Scenario in the OP is not an Airborne shooter. A1 jumped to catch a pass.

Camron Rust Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01pm

Quote:

A1 sure had a chance to see B1. B1 didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Only if A1 was driving with his eyes closed would A1 not be able to see the defenders that were close enough to be relevant. A1 could have determined that B1 would be able to get into a position to draw a foul and could have made a different choice.

RefBob Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 988675)
My turn.

Check out NF 4-19-1 NOTE and NF 5-1-2.

These references are helpful. A1 is not an airborne shooter at the time of the contact with B1. Therefore, A1's contact with B1 is not a player control foul. The basket counts and the ball is dead when A1's shot went through the basket. No foul on A1's contact with B1 after the ball is dead unless intentional or flagrant. Different result if A1 missed the shot and the ball was still live. Then you would have to assess A1's contact on B1 as in any contact scenario.

RefBob Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 988676)
IF there is contact after a made basket why would you ever cancel the score?

What would you do if an airborne shooter lands, then runs over a defender, then the ball goes through the basket. Let's assume the contact IS a foul.

You're right you wouldn't. Unless there was a player control foul as per NFHS Rule 5-2, which was not the case here.

No player or team is in control after the ball is in flight. So under NFHS Rule 6-7-7, Exception a., the ball is not dead until the try ends. Basket counts, then enforce the foul.

JRutledge Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by requintero (Post 988681)
These references are helpful. A1 is not an airborne shooter at the time of the contact with B1. Therefore, A1's contact with B1 is not a player control foul. The basket counts and the ball is dead when A1's shot went through the basket. No foul on A1's contact with B1 after the ball is dead unless intentional or flagrant. Different result if A1 missed the shot and the ball was still live. Then you would have to assess A1's contact on B1 as in any contact scenario.

This might be different than your play as well because the ball did not have to go in at all and the play is still live (Sorry I do not have my casebook with me to read the reference). If that is the case, this is still a live ball foul and not a PC foul as well. So the basket would count if all this happen while the ball was not in the basket yet. Again the major mistake I see you making is assuming there is some rule that suggests that B1 is not in a legal position. B1 never has to get out of the way of a shooter or a player just returning to the floor when they have gotten to their spot legally and maintained their legal position.

Peace