The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAM timeout change for '16-17 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101448-ncaam-timeout-change-16-17-a.html)

JetMetFan Mon Jun 20, 2016 09:22am

NCAAM timeout change for '16-17

Thoughts on this one from the NCAAM's officials in the crowd?

College basketball: Panel approves proposal to alter timeout rule | NCAA.com

Freddy Mon Jun 20, 2016 01:25pm

Or Maybe They're Right . . .

QUOTE: "This new rule allows a coach to ask for a timeout if, for example, a player has trouble inbounding the ball and is close to committing a five-second violation."

This seems to me an insult to the intelligence, the game acumen of NCAA-M player. What they're saying is, in effect, "You're not smart enough to be taught when it would be beneficial to call a timeout in order not to incur a five-second throw-in violation."

Is it the counting all the way up to five that's the problem? What?

BoomerSooner Mon Jun 20, 2016 03:10pm

I think the example of avoiding a 5 second count was just that, an example of when a coach might call time out during a throw-in. It is probably the most common situation in which a coach calls a time out during a thrown in, and one they felt people reading the release would best understand.

The release went on to explain that one of the primary reasons for eliminating coaches calling for time out during a live ball was to get rid of coaches frantically calling for timeout during a loose ball situation hoping to be granted a timeout as soon as possession was gained by one of his players. In retrospect, I think they realized that there aren't many loose ball situations prior to a player releasing the ball on a throw-in and thus no need for the rule to apply to this situation.

Maybe coaches lobbied for the change exclusively for the purpose of being able to intercede to avoid 5 second violations, but I don't think it was because anyone thought players can't count to five.

BoomerSooner Mon Jun 20, 2016 03:20pm

Also counting to 5 at the same speed as another individual (the one that matters in this case) while trying to process everything else happening on the court can be challenging. I once went through a drill at a camp where everyone was blindfolded and told to count a 10 second count when the music started and to stop the count when it ended or put our arm up (simulating a violation) when we got to 10. The blindfold was to keep us from watching each other, while the music was a sensory input to mess with our count. Sure enough, the music stopped after 8 seconds of clock time and half the group had arms up, of the remaining half, we had 1 guy that was at 5, a few at 6 and the bulk of us were at 7, 8 or 9.

We did the same with a 5 second count, and the music played for 6.5 seconds and the results were interesting reversed. About half of us had arms up, a few guys admitted to being only at 3 and the remaining guys had 4 or got caught trying to raise their arms quickly when the music stopped (per the supervisors).

All that said, I think they can count to 5 just fine. The problem may be counting 5 seconds.

BigCat Mon Jun 20, 2016 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 988598)
Thoughts on this one from the NCAAM's officials in the crowd?

College basketball: Panel approves proposal to alter timeout rule | NCAA.com

Frankly, I'm a proponent of making players think on their own a bit. I'd actually like to see coaches prevented from coaching a few games unless there's a timeout. Won't ever happen but coaches today micro manage everything. As far as the timeout rule cited above: if that's what they say, fine. We know at least at that moment that team A has player control.

Under the old rule and in NFHS I'm slow to grant the timeout. Need to be sure player has control and HC is calling the TO. If you want it granted quicker, teach your kids to do it. ...

Camron Rust Mon Jun 20, 2016 08:06pm

Bad idea....

Quote:

Men’s Basketball Rules Committee members, who met last month in Indianapolis, discussed the rationale for last year’s rules change. They felt it was intended to allow only players to call timeouts during a live ball while the ball was in play between the lines, especially during scrambles on the floor for a loose ball.
The officials have plenty to look at on throwins too, not just scrambles on the floor.

Keep it the way it is.

Raymond Tue Jun 21, 2016 05:41pm

Whatever they want to do I don't care

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Welpe Tue Jun 21, 2016 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 988610)
Is it the counting all the way up to five that's the problem? What?

Not necessarily but sometimes it is easier for a coach to see that his inbounder is about to hit 5 seconds than it is for the inbounder who is worried about finding someone to pass to in time.

I get the reasoning for wanting the change but don't know if I agree with it.

Camron Rust Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 988665)
Not necessarily but sometimes it is easier for a coach to see that his inbounder is about to hit 5 seconds than it is for the inbounder who is worried about finding someone to pass to in time.

I get the reasoning for wanting the change but don't know if I agree with it.

I'd like to see the game to be played by the players with the coach only making coaching decisions, not directly affecting the game.

JRutledge Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 988680)
I'd like to see the game to be played by the players with the coach only making coaching decisions, not directly affecting the game.

I agree and this change is minor in the bigger picture.

Peace

Rich Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 988680)

Taking a timeout is a coaching decision.

JRutledge Wed Jun 22, 2016 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 988688)

Yes, but they muddy the water by yelling from a place where the people granting that timeout are not focused in their direction. And then getting upset when they are not heard or understood. Anything that takes the focus away from the court IMO is really not a good thing. But I will say at least this restricts this to the possibility when action is not moving and an official in the area that hears and knows who is making the request.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Jun 22, 2016 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 988688)

I disagree, if the ball is live. Play is in progress, let the players play it out or call the timeout themselves. Allowing the coach to call a timeout during a live ball is being involved in the play.

Rich Wed Jun 22, 2016 07:02pm

I started back in the day when only players could call a timeout.

I like things much better now. I hope they *never* take the right away from HS coaches.

tjones1 Sat Jul 02, 2016 02:53pm

Don't like the change...

I think this falls into "they gotta change something..."